“Overpriced”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 16 October 2016

I've been going to country gourmet ever since they opened so I guess that's 30 years. I have to say the last three or four times I've been there for breakfast I've walked away feeling like the meal was overpriced for what I got. Today I ordered huevos rancheros I believe it was $10.95 it was their daily special. It consisted of two poached eggs a small amount of Veda sauce and a crisp thin tortilla.

They had a notice on the tables celebrating their 30th year in business and also announcing because of Sunnyvale's minimum wage of $15 going into effect they were going to have to raise their prices next year. Sorry country gourmet if you raise your prices much more I don't think I'll be coming back, and your within walking distance of my home.

Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

It was not easy to order with so many delicious choices on the menu. The first time I had the fresh and flavorful fish tacos. The second time I had the perfectly grilled and nicely seasoned swordfish, green beans and sweet potatoes. I'm not crazy about the jalapeños in the sweet potato but it was different. My boyfriend had the fresh Caesar salad with shrimp. The server noticed that there's not enough dressing and volunteered to bring more. So thoughtful!

Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

We were fortunate that Country Gourmet was only a mile from our home. Chef Jimmy Connors creates several new specials each week along with standard menu favorites. The Mexican Salad with its jalapeño citrus vinaigrette is a vegetarian treat. Freshly baked bread and rolls are available with seasoned vinegars and fresh olive oil for dipping. For breakfast, the blueberry/walnut coffee cake is moist and rich. Home fries are delicious with egg dishes. Cinnamon orange tea is sweet and spicy without added sugar. Lots of favorites here. Wish we still lived in the area.

1  Thank L D
Reviewed 3 May 2016

I've been returning to Country Gourmet since its inception in 1986. It offers great breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. There's a standard menu plus it offers specials each day posted on a blackboard. Has wine, beer, desserts, great coffees, etc. You order at the counter and the food is brought to you. Always good, healthy cuisine. Try it.... Tonight I tried the Spinach Pappardelle w Chicken and wild mushrooms, caramelized shallots and Meyer Lemon. I've never much cared for pasta, but I ate every bite of this and loved it enough to be writing this review.

Reviewed 22 February 2016

I came here with my partner and some friends over the weekend and we were all not that thrilled by the experience. Nothing was terribly wrong with the service or the food but nothing was really "good" about it either. They are a little weird in their set up as it is like Harry's Hofbrau where you walk in and order up front and then find a seat.

Food & Customer Service:
I had the Spinach Omelette which is "spinach, sauteed mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, Swiss and cream cheese and i asked for bacon to be added. There was too much cream cheese in the omelette and although nothing was bad about it, I just was not impressed. The flavor was "ok" and a bit on the bland side. I did not realize my meal did not come with potatoes and when I asked one of the guys walking around he showed me it did not come with it but he went and got me some potatoes which was exceptional customer service! Unfortunately the potatoes like the eggs were just "ok" once I added some salt, pepper and hot sauce they were fine. The only thing I really liked was the excellent pancake I tried that one of my friends had. If you come here, I recommend the pancakes!

The type of people eating here were a lot of people that seemed to be in their 60's and up so I am guessing this is why the food was "ok" and on the bland side.

Bathroom:
The bathroom was well kept but the sink is behind where the door opens, so I wound up hitting some poor guy as I walked in that was standing at the sink.

Overall, nothing was truly wrong with this place, but it just did not do it for me.