Review Highlights
Alternate Archeology

Having passed the "Calico Early Man Site" sign a number of times while traveling the I-15, my... read more

Reviewed 24 July 2016
Pentaxian
San Diego
Come and dig!

This is an active archaeological dig site. The digs are on the first weekend of every month. But... read more

Reviewed 3 March 2016
Monkebones

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Yermo
from US$25.95
More Info
from US$19.95
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Had to stop, easy side trip to see a place where humans stopped to create hunting tools from the stones found in the area. Donations to maintain, excellent docent and bonus, Dr. Leakey (famous archeologist just so you know) once ran the dig site. Largest, active and oldest human remains found in the Americas.

Date of experience: December 2013
5  Thank marvin67
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I live close to this site and drove out one day. after reaching the end of the road. It looked like the geriatric club was having a meeting, and I'm almost sixty. I got out of the car and a guy with no shirt and shorts on asked, "What do you want" I told him I wanted to see the early man site. He said, "You're standing on it, and turned to visit with his lady friends. I left.
I am an early American historian. An Anthropology student in collage. If my tax dollars are helping to fund this fiasco I want my money back.

Date of experience: October 2012
11  Thank DRIFTWOODCHARLEY
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This is a nice place to go and experience the tourist of the old time mining places, they have a lot of nice things to see and explore while your there. Great place to take pictures...

Date of experience: October 2012
2  Thank Juana R
Reviewed 10 May 2012

WE were there about two years ago. We found this to be most interesting in a couple of ways. First because of the knoledge of the man in the office who shared a lot of information with us, and second because it is so non touristy. I don't think this spot is visited by many.

The review titled (i've been going...) isn't for this site, it should be on Calico Ghost Town, there are no consessions, and there is not much to do here.

Date of experience: June 2011
1  Thank James S
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Interesting to anyone intersted in early man tool findings. Nice that its a self guided hike to the digs but its very basic.

Date of experience: March 2012