“Disappointed”

Calico Early Man Site
Ranked #3 of 3 things to do in Yermo
More attraction details
Owner description: Some of the oldest human artifacts in the Americas have been found at the Calico site.
Reviewed 27 November 2015

Really wanted to see this but it was not open. The biggest disappointment was the website quoted time it was open as did the signage along the road. The folks at the Desert Discovery Center in Barstow recommended this attraction. They were not aware it was not open. We did not officially find out it was not open until we phoned as we sat at the gates leading into the site.

1  Thank OurWanderingCasa

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Had to stop, easy side trip to see a place where humans stopped to create hunting tools from the stones found in the area. Donations to maintain, excellent docent and bonus, Dr. Leakey (famous archeologist just so you know) once ran the dig site. Largest, active and oldest human remains found in the Americas.

5  Thank marvin67
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I live close to this site and drove out one day. after reaching the end of the road. It looked like the geriatric club was having a meeting, and I'm almost sixty. I got out of the car and a guy with no shirt and shorts on asked, "What do you want" I told him I wanted to see the early man site. He said, "You're standing on it, and turned to visit with his lady friends. I left.
I am an early American historian. An Anthropology student in collage. If my tax dollars are helping to fund this fiasco I want my money back.

10  Thank DRIFTWOODCHARLEY
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This is a nice place to go and experience the tourist of the old time mining places, they have a lot of nice things to see and explore while your there. Great place to take pictures...

2  Thank Juana R
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 May 2012

WE were there about two years ago. We found this to be most interesting in a couple of ways. First because of the knoledge of the man in the office who shared a lot of information with us, and second because it is so non touristy. I don't think this spot is visited by many.

The review titled (i've been going...) isn't for this site, it should be on Calico Ghost Town, there are no consessions, and there is not much to do here.

1  Thank James S