“Beer Paradise! Sweet Potato Fries Wonderful”

Rueben's Burger Bistro
Ranked #309 of 584 Restaurants in Boulder
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 9 October 2016

Beer Menu was 10 pages! I wanted a Buffalo Burger, so friend took me here. I'm not much of a beer drinker, waiter brought a dark beer sample, didn't like, so he suggested a MILK STOUT! Very good! Buffalo with blue cheese, celery sauce was great. Sweet Potato Fries to-travel-half-way-around-the-world for.. .We ate outside, downtown Boulder! (traffic noisy) but great atmosphere.

Reviewed 15 September 2016

I stopped here on a Wednesday for lunch. Decided to go with a burger as it seemed like it should be their specialty. I ordered The Sprocket, which is a basic burger with lettuce, tomato, and cheese along with a house sauce. Their burgers come on a pretzel bun which is a good thing because mine was fairly greasy. The burger itself had great flavor with some interesting seasoning to it but I was a bit disappointed by the amount of grease that was on my plate and that was dripping off the burger as I ate it. The fries were good and the service was too. Basic burger was $12 and others were up to $16 and I'm not sure I would want to pay that much for a burger again.

Reviewed 5 September 2016

Went there with my two sons who live in Boulder and decided to try Ruebens for their burgers, got a table right away, waitress brought water to our table...and then nothing.... Wait staff walked past us several times glanced over and still nothing, people were seated right next to us and got waited on...noithing for us. After 25 minutes of no sevice, we got upon and left. Very disappointed, would not recommend, we found another place on Pearl Street, with prompt friendly service, and good food

Reviewed 19 August 2016

surprisingly quiet at 9 pm on a friday evening, of course, university students not back yet to maybe had something to do with it. good service, only had appetizers which were good quality and plentiful. chicken fingers (i know, hard to rave about something so simple) were actually quite delicious. good beer selection but that would be true of most places in boulder. lots of tv's for entertainment. a small(ish) patio with some table but we sat inside. overall a good experience, would return to try some of the dinners when back in boulder

Reviewed 12 August 2016

If you like Belgian beer and great burgers, this is your place. As for Ruebens????
On my first visit I went for the Rueben, but true to several other online reports, it was not available. The staff gave me tips on how to get the elusive Rueben, which, next visit, I did. But Rueben available or not, the beers and burgers are a reason to stay. And the service, too.
Visit 2: Rueben lovers, here’s the deal, according to the waitstaff: they get their briskets on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and once they are gone, they are gone. A couple weeks later I went back on a Tuesday. I tried the Rueben, and it was great. Tender and tasty brisket, the BEST Kraut I have had in many, many years, and with a bit of extra Russian dressing on the side, Rueben heaven.
Visit 1: My first impression, arriving at 8pm (very late for this part of the US) was not great, there were many empty tables inside, but billed as “not clean” or “reserved” and wouldn’t I like to sit at the bar? Sometimes yes, not tonight. They offered me a table outside, which I took. They clearly did not want to give a four- top or even a two- top inside to a single diner in case they had a sudden, unexpected influx of customers. Shunting a guest off would never happen in Europe – but we are not in Europe.
Once settled outside, I was ignored for a while and began to think that it was just another tourist place. Not having the Rueben also did not help this impression. Then all of a sudden I had a new server, “Jack”, who was all about service. And that attests to the difference between restaurants which thrive, and those which end up closing their doors. Very quickly, he brought a large carafe of ice water. I ordered an Avery White Rascal (a local wheat beer) and a “Road Rash” burger from the stock Colorado beef. You can also order burgers with Colorado grass- fed beef and Buffalo, none of which have been treated with growth hormones, etc. I ordered a side salad, too. With my request for a “rare” burger, Jack asked if it should be just pink or mooing, and we clarified the request. Big plus that he asked.
From then on, I was treated like a special customer, although I could see that the staff were hustling for all the tables. Jack came by to apologise for the wait for the burger (not long at that point, actually!), and assured me that it would not be long. No rush on my part, but nice that he checked in. In the meantime he delivered a round of four sauces and hopped to when I said that I would also like some salt when the burger arrived – it was there in a flash.
The burger arrived, and was perfect, including their “Imported from Germany Pretzel Bread Bun”, a really nice Chipotle Aioli and Jalapenos. Done as requested, although a bit towards the not- as- rare as I had asked for but the end result was still very tasty. The salad was great, nice, very fresh lettuces, pert tomatoes, tangy Bleu Cheese dressing. All the while, Jack kept checking in and asking how it was, could he do anything more? But not in an obsequious way, rather a very natural way.
The background music was also really nice, mostly old classics from Steely Dan, Super Tramp, The Animals, and many, many more.
The beer list gives a big nod to Belgian beers and there are also many local craft beers. There’s a 39- page drinks list, with 39 draught beers on offer and specials and guest beers in addition.