“Excellent Food, Service, Ambiance”
Review of Greenbriar Inn

Greenbriar Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Greenbriar Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 608 Restaurants in Boulder
Price range: US$21 - US$42
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Hwy 36 & Lefthand Canyon
Description: Opened in 1967, The Greenbriar Inn is an elegant restaurant, tavern and private event space located in the north Boulder countryside and nestled at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. The surrounding 20 acres features two ponds, striking woodland and thriving produce, herb, and flower gardens. The cuisine focuses on seasonal, American classics and is complimented by a 900 label award-winning wine cellar.
Reviewed 21 March 2017

Went there to celebrate our anniversary and couldn't have been more pleased! Very nice location outside of town in a romantic setting. Husband had the lamb, which he said was the best he has ever had. I had the beef wellington, which was to die for! Oysters also were delicious. Service could not have been better. We hadn't been here in six years, but we will be back next month.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

When my wife and I go out to dinner at upscale restaurants, we like to have meals that we would not at home. This was especially true recently when I took my wife to The Greenbriar Inn for her birthday. And, we certainly did get something that we would not have at home – fat, lots and lots of fat. For her main course my wife ordered the Grilled Sirloin of Lamb which arrived with very little lamb and what it did have was more than 50% fat. This is no exaggeration. At least the lamb meat that was there was chewable unlike the duck, which too was more than 50% fat (I’m talking the barely cooked kind, not a confit) and what was not fat barely yielded to knife, much less my teeth. The flavor of the duck aided by the blood orange confit was okay, but not exceptional. The lamb was better, but, as stated, portions were small. In fact, I had to ask what the white smear on my wife’s plank plate was. It turned out to be the cauliflower puree, which could have been mashed potatoes, turnips or some other nondescript, mashed white vegetable matter. We also shared the Caesar Salad, which was good, but the portions had been reduced from previous times. On the bright side, service was good, not great, and the ambiance was what we have come to love about The Greenbriar Inn. Noteworthy is the fact that we went on a Friday evening and there were very few patrons.
I want the reader to understand that my wife and I are not generally hypercritical people and that we had eaten at The Greenbriar in November and December, 2016, both of which experiences were great with excellent food and service. However, this last experience in March, 2017, was mediocre at best. I hope that if our experience was a factor of a management decision to reduce cost, that management wakes up to focusing upon quality of the dining experience and not just how to reduce cost. Focusing just upon the bottom-line is myopic. Otherwise, they will be out of business in the near future.

2  Thank Dennis F
Reviewed 14 February 2017

Three of us went to the Greenbriar for dinner. The setting is beautiful in the sun room and the service is excellent. Complimentary pâte was served first which was superb. My friends got the caesar salad for two which they thought was very good. The beet salad with goat cheese was delicious. One of our party got the lamb and she thought this was excellent. Two of us got the Coq au Vin. There are two pieces of chicken in a heavy red wine sauce with mushrooms. Both of us thought the same thing - the chicken breast was very dry and not enjoyable. The sauce, as it cooled seemed to congeal and the flavor became way overbearing. The carrots served with the dish were basically raw. Both of us only ate half of the dish and decided that for the money, there are other restaurants that are consistently better. This is not an inexpensive place.This was a disappointment, as everything else about the restaurant was so good. Just don't get the Coq au Vin!

1  Thank ColoradoSJE
Reviewed 26 December 2016

Our family of six decided to enjoy a special Christmas Eve dinner at Greenbrier Inn. The service was excellent, the ambiance was a bit hurried and definitely crowded. I had to stand up while a waiter prepared a salad table side for another party because there was not enough space between tables. Not so fun. Looks like they may have squeezed extra tables in for that night. The bread service was wanting and they did not serve real butter with it. But here's some pluses-- the kept the water glasses filled and were generally attentive to our table without being a nuisance. One in our party ordered the duck and was very pleased. Another ordered the lamb and cleaned his plate as well. My husband's beef filet was good, but not very hot. My salmon was fair. We waiting nearly 45 minutes for our entrees. All said, we dropped almost $350 for our dining experience and I guess we would have liked to have been a little more "wowed". I can't say that it was worth the money we spent, but it wasn't a disaster either. So I guess I'd say it's a good restaurant for older couples celebrating special occasions. Perhaps we would have had a more pleasant experience if it had not been a busy holiday.

1  Thank charfromthesouth
Reviewed 17 December 2016

I read the reviews on TA after we dined, and have come to the conclusion that TA is primarily for younger people. This place was not even rated in the top 10% of restaurants in Boulder. ??? Number 1 and 3 are brewery's .
We had a spectacular evening last Saturday. Even though the restaurant was packed , the service was excellent and the food superb. I had been told it was expensive but coming from Southern California I thought everything was reasonably priced. If you are looking of a place for a quick bite this is not the place. They serve you a nice appetizer to start the evening and a sorbet between courses , both added a nice touch. The caesar salad was prepared table side as was the bananas Foster ( both excellent) We ate on the second floor and the tables were spaced far enough apart , we were able to have wonderful conversations during our 2.5 hour meal , with a fair degree of privacy.