“Weekend Ski Trip with friends”

Ruben's New Mexican
Ranked #48 of 71 Restaurants in Crested Butte
Description: Our diverse menu includes signature tacos with house made salsas, unique tamales, famous chile rellenos and enchiladas, seasonal favorites such as posole, gazpacho, ceviche and pumpkin flan in addition to nearly 50 more items. The margaritas are Latin-inspired from all reaches of the culture. Every item on the menu is made from scratch. Ruben's uses fresh ingredients and local products whenever possible. There is absolutely NO lard in any of the dishes prepared at the restaurant, and that includes the beans!
Reviewed 4 April 2017

Making our annual ski trip to Crested Butte finding a new place to eat from a local resident recommendation. Small little place with good "New Mexico" style Mexican food. I had the "gringo style" chicken enchiladas. They were very good. Fresh made hot sauce with chip were also good.

1  Thank fwcsportnut

Reviewed 27 February 2017

I would have given this a GOOD for the food, ambiance, beer, etc. except I know some people would be tried by the crowded nature of the place and hurried attitude of the server; well you'd be hurried too if you were in this place as the locals crowd it for absolutely dynamite Mexican food. Much is prepared on the spot and the food is cooked to order; so comes out super fresh but takes time. Just chill and enjoy.

Reviewed 24 February 2017

We miss the old Ruben's, but the new place on N. Elk avenue is small, but atmospheric. Al's New Mexico dishes are as we remember them. We like all his traditional dishes, but the grandkids miss the MacNcheese.

1  Thank jpwhite6
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

New Mexican's have a tendency to be very particular about their cuisine...arrogant even...it's very unique and can be distinguished from Mexican. Check Wiki for "New Mexican Cuisine." The benchmarks for our food are found in Green Chile Stew and Green Chile Cheeseburgers. I had the stew. Very authentic, all the right flavors. A bit salty but the real deal. Excellent salsa and homemade chips. I'm looking forward to sampling the rest of the menu.

But when you get down to it, it's not authentic unless you're using New Mexican green chiles...

2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 30 September 2016

I read in a restaurant review that there were two good New Mexican restaurants on the Western Slope. One in Durango and the other in Crested Butte. I love New Mexican food and really miss not being able to get good green chile where I live in Montrose. My wife and I headed over to Crested Butte, which is about a two hour drive, for lunch today. First we found out that the enchiladas and chile rellenos were not available for lunch...only dinner. Let that sink in...We both ordered chicken burritos with green chile and black beans. The chile reminded me of Stokes canned green chile. I couldn't place the overwhelming ingredient that hid the green chile taste I was hoping to enjoy. This time of year there's no excuse to not have an overwhelming fresh green chile flavor. I like my chile spicy. It was so mild that my wife could eat it, and she can't stand medium heat. She hated her meal and told me about it all the way home. The only reason I didn't give this restaurant a terrible rating is that it had some Drew Emmitt playing mandolin in the background.

1  Thank aspenglade