“Stax of Wax and So Much More”
Review of Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout
Ranked #13 of 80 Shopping in Denver
Reviewed 26 July 2015

I still like my music tactile (CD and vinyl). For that reason I typically make two stops while in Denver: 1) to Wax Trax; 2) to Twist and Shout. I love both of these spots for different reasons. Wax Trax is more tied to the people I know (or once knew). Twist and Shout is tied to the love of all genres of music. I love the wide selection in all genres. They've expanded their vinyl offerings. And the movie room is jam packed. I also love all the books and novelty items scattered throughout the place. All of my kids have been here and fallen in love as well. We always end up with more in our hands than the pocketbook wants to allow. And that's a good thing. [PS - Make an afternoon of it and visit Tattered Cover next door for coffee and books. You can also catch some amazing indie cinema releases at the theaters atop of Twist and Shout.]

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"clothing"
"browsing"

Reviewed 31 December 2014

Man, I could spend hours in here. There's something for any and everyone. All the staff are friendly and helpful. If you are in the Denver area make this a must stop.

Reviewed 10 December 2014

Don't take turntables to this location to be worked on, especially if they mention(Pete from 900 Portland Place Boulder/phone # 3034470857 aka P. Fast Audio)

Reviewed 17 September 2014

I make the 1 and 1/2 drive several times a year. During RSD (record store day) I even sleep on the streets to buy the newest releases. This place is where to get all from the old, new and everything in between. You'll find CDs to vinyl albums, to books to shirts, Twist and Shout has it all. I could spend hours and hours in there. If you've never experienced Twist and Shout I highly recommend you make it a priority.

1  Thank Rob M
See more reviews
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Having grown up with Twist and Shout, I assumed there was substance to its Dead Head/Dead Kennedys altruistic vibe. The feeling was so cool that in the early days, Chipotle was cool simply because the music they pipe came from Twist and Shout.

I went into T&W to sell some DVDs. Well, they were only able to buy a few things I had for a total of $6. No big deal. I understand retail, I am, after all, an experienced operational accounting controller. So I agreed with little thought.

When I realized T&W was keeping one disc in particular that I happen know is a bit rare and valuable to a very select audience, I asked what it fetched. When I was told it got me $1.50, I explained its uniqueness and asked to have it back in exchange for the $1.50. I did not feel that T&W should give me far less than reasonable value because of their ignorance.

I did not make a fuss. I asked to undo the deal on that one disc, and with the $6 and my DVD still on the counter, the manager said, “Now that it’s done, sorry.” The cashier backed him up with a, “Sorry man.”

As a seasoned operational accounting controller I suspect I know what a Twist and Shout manager can and cannot do. More than that I have a good understanding of the metrics that likely measure a used record store manager's job performance and directly impact his paycheck. Many a manager I have worked with would have thought at that moment, “Jackpot! I can’t wait to get online and look this one up so I can tell the boss how I totally stole this from some shom.”

Of course, there is no way for me to know if anyone at Twist and Shout would think or do such a thing. I just think given that I had not moved an inch and less than a minute had passed, he should have relented.

I find it hard to believe that the manager could not restructure the trade based on my dissatisfaction when I was explained the exact terms of the deal within seconds of verbally agreeing to it. In real estate law and even with gym memberships, flexibility and time to reconsider a contract after it is executed is proffered to ensure mutual understanding, fairness, customer satisfaction and customer loyalty.

However, that really isn't the whole story. I had never been into the ”new” store, so while waiting for my DVDs to be professionally appraised, I engaged a female T&W associate by saying how cool it seemed that the store is completely different but looks and feels exactly the same as the old location. She was downright unpleasant. The manager with the tats on his head who scalped me for my DVD was a little more interactive but icy cold.

So I probably would not be back based on those two interactions because that place always had a good vibe for me. Now, not so much. Record store people should be cool and conversational, sharing in the community of music lovers. In 1982, I turned down a job with Rocky Mountain Records and Tapes because all they talked about in the interview was loss prevention and look how that business model panned out.

Good business offers value while maximizing profit. Bad business maximizes profits without moral compass. I just want my Led Zeppelin/Clash breathern to know that Twist and Shout might as well be a Bain Capital subsidiary. Every time I see or hear about Twist and Shout I will feel betrayed for the rest of my life.

3  Thank MikeAndWalter