“Go Hungry - Split a Meal with your Partner”
Review of Oscar's Cafe

Oscar's Cafe
Ranked #11 of 203 Restaurants in Durango
Price range: US$5 - US$9
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Great place for breakfast. Wide, varied menu and great service. Servers were prompt and very friendly. Very generous portions. We split our meal. Will have breakfast there the next time we are in Durango.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Primarily a breakfast/lunch place with large portions and delicious pancakes. The restaurant is very small and can fill quickly on weekends and holidays with substantial wait during the prime time. It can be worth it but sometimes the wait is too long and the locals don't eat and run... Food is great, service is good, prices were a bit high, and no substitutions. Kids love the ambiance.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

At the urging of some friends from Texas (?) we agreed to try Oscars in lieu of our normal, quite amazing breakfast place that we always go to when in Durango.
From the outside it looks pretty cool. A replica of someone's idea of what a 1950's era diner must have looked like, although none of them ever did,
But I digress.
They post the menu on the window so while you are waiting in line you can look it over. A "yuge" selection of items awaits your inspection, most of which sounded pretty good.
Finally we were seated after a 20 minute wait...at the counter.
The servers are what you imagine them to be in a place like this...busy...call everyone Honey...pour coffee like banshees. Eventually even come to take your order, and you better know what you want because they don't mess around with things like, oh, making a decision from several choices.
The coffee is incredibly weak! I mean weak. How can this be, I wondered.
The chaos continued around us as we waited another 15 minutes for the food to arrive.
"We're out of avocado" the server yelled out. "What else can we get you?" I hurriedly choose the breakfast potatoes.
The food arrives.
Absolutely tasteless food at that. Everything on both plates must have been constructed from the same vat of kitchen Stuff...carefully crafted just so to simply look different in appearance.
Eggs...tasteless and cold.
Green chile..."wait, that can't be it, can it?"
Potatoes...same
Bacon...same, oh yes, of course with extra grease mixed in at no charge
Pancake...argh, the pancake!!?? The $6 luke warm pancake!!. Tasteless. (At least Oscars is consistent), did I say luke warm, dense like sawdust. Covered the plate so the syrup ran onto the counter too.
The ice water was pretty good though...and in the Oscar's tradition, cold.
The server sort of vanished into the chaos, not wanting to ask how things are.

I Absolutely do not understand the fondness for Oscars. We paid almost $40 for a breakfast that we could not and did not finish. Did anyone ever even ask if the food was OK?
Not a chance. The ongoing chaos did not allow time for such small talk.
2 Stars just because of the incomprehensible number of positive reviews listed but...easily would give it 1/2 star, only because they were open.
Skip Oscars. You'll be glad you did.

2  Thank murphy2
Reviewed 1 October 2017

Stopped here for lunch. My husband had a burger and really enjoyed it. I thought I'd go a little "lighter" and ordered a BLT. It was delicious but huge! In fact the portions are ridiculously big. We took most of the fries home to reheat for dinner. The pies looked wonderful. I wish I had had room to try a piece.
The service was friendly and the restaurant clean. I would go here again.

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

If you love cinnamon rolls this is the place to go. Great coffee and the rest of the food is good too.