“Did not meet expectations”
Review of Electra Lake Cafe

Electra Lake Cafe
Ranked #114 of 207 Restaurants in Durango
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I hate to have to put this review out here but we were sorely disappointed. The view from the restaurant is outstanding and the wait staff was attentive but the overall experience left us saying we would not be back (we're locals). They were very accommodating to our special dietary needs and allowed a lot of flexibility but in the end everything fell short. We had a group of 9 and I know that presents challenges in getting all the food prepared and ready at the same time - but everyone's food was cold. At these prices I expect to be served a hot meal whether it is just 2 of us or 20. One of our group ordered the risotto and it was so salty she couldn't even eat it but she is not one to complain or send food back. I am afraid the owners have carried some of the Season's prices with them, along with the small portion sizes (as stated in other reviews) and it just wasn't worth it.

If you go with a large group just be aware they will not split checks or even help you figure it out. It is well documented that they only take cash or a check so be prepared.

The building is fantastic and the location and view is amazing - perhaps you just go and have some appetizers and enjoy the view and then leave. In the end we will vote with our feet and do not plan to go back - too many better options available.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

The food was excellent: certainly on par with a number of the local restaurants. The service was terrific and the views are the best from any restaurant in the Durango area. It is nice that they are a BYOB establishment as I generally will bring better wines than I am willing to pay for on the menu.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

As residents in the neighborhood, the great location doesn't have the novelty other diners may experience so I won't gush about that. We were very pleased to hear that the previous thorny and irascible restaurateur had lost the contract to operate in the Electra Sporting Club's clubhouse. Having now dined here twice under the new operator, I must say that we are disappointed. The service on our first visit was slow and there seemed to be a lot of confusion. On the second, it was exemplary. The menu is somewhat limited and seems to be more of a trendy elegant dining nature and some of the offerings changed between visits. On our first visit, my wife had a ravioli dish and I a ribeye steak. Both were smallish portions with the ravioli served in a thin broth and having little content. If my wife, a light eater, comments on a lack of substance it's saying something. The ribeye, ordered medium rare, was very thinly cut and served on top of a bed of mashed potatoes. It was over cooked (well done) tough and grisly. On our second visit, we had a burger, swordfish and a rib special among us and a guest. My wife enjoyed the burger and, indeed, it appeared the best of our selections. The braised BBQ ribs were enjoyed by or guest. The swordfish was well prepared but, in keeping with small portions, the fillet was no larger than a deck of playing cards with a scattering of sautéed vegetables. I would like to have seen a simpler menu appealing to broader tastes and budgets. I would expect to pay more in a location such as this but feel that the diner should get something more than a small expensive meal with a view.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

We ate here to celebrate an anniversary, having heard that a former Seasons' chef had taken over the restautant this summer. The food was good; the beef cheek entree was very good, while the rib steak was a bit tough and not as good as the beef cheeks. We had excellent service from a waitress who had just started that evening but formerly worked at Seasons. The desserts were amazing, and the views are the best in the entire area.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

We came across this jewel while on a drive sightseeing. Reservations are required. The trip to, the views from and atmosphere at this 100+ year old boathouse make the trip worth it. The food is fantastic. The wait crew is attentive and fun. The dining is casual and yet elegant. Yeah, yeah, I know. BYOB but no corkage fee. They are open Thursday to Sunday, and I would bet, closed during the winter months