“Wonderful Experience!”

General Palmer Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Reviewed 16 August 2017

If you like historic hotels that have been beautifully renovated with period decor, you will love the General Palmer Hotel. We stayed here in June, on our way to a family reunion elsewhere in Colorado, and absolutely loved it. I had booked on-line, and when I had second thoughts about choosing an interior "no windows" room, I called the hotel directly -- wondering if I'd made a bad choice -- I learned that a number of their rooms are on the inside of a hallway, so do not have any windows. It sounds a bit odd, but it wasn't a problem at all. Our very spacious room was beautifully appointed with lovely furnishings, a large granite vanity, an extremely comfy king bed, and terry robes. First class all the way, yet with a distinctly, early Colorado charm. A continental breakfast was included with our room rate, but we opted for optional vouchers for a full breakfast at a western cafe about a block away, which was also excellent. The only hotel oddity was the tiny, period elevator -- about the size of a coat closet -- with a door that's a bit tricky to open and close while juggling luggage. We found it quirky and amusing, which I'm sure most hotel guests do. The General Palmer is located right in the heart of downtown Durango, very easy to get to if you're driving, and within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants. I would return in a heartbeat, and highly recommend it others who enjoy historic hotels with a touch of luxury.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have windows. We didn't find this a problem, but something to be aware of it...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Kalena_U, Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your review of the hotel! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your comments and feedback. Our elevator is a little tricky but definitely adds charm to the lobby! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you will come back and visit us and Durango again soon!

There are newer reviews for General Palmer Hotel

Reviewed 11 August 2017

First off. I also booked with Expedia. I am always worried about Expedia since you pay up front and don't pay the hotel. When I arrived they didn't even ask me for a credit card and said I was paid in full. It was not an issue.

My wife loves older hotels and the history. It happened that this hotel had a three bed suite that we needed on this trip with 3 kids. I will say the room was outstanding and very spacious. Yes Durango is pricey and the same size room at other cities was $50 less but the beds were nice and the hotel had a nice sitting area with real coffee and cookies in the evening.

One thing we did not realize since they don't have a good web site is some of the rooms (including ours) are not in the main hotel. The are in a separate building across the parking lot. It is historic also but still not part of the main hotel. Some of the rooms there open to the outside which is right next to the tracks. I think I would have rather had a room in the main hotel. It's why I knocked it down one star.

If you have a rate with breakfast it is currently for vouchers at the Lone Spur Cafe. See that for reviews but it would have cost us $50 for the food there. You get 3 or 4 items al cart and a drink. It was a great value and great food.

Room Tip: Ask if your room is in the main hotel and the train is at the back so be aware.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Kalena_U, Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Thank you for your review of the hotel! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have two buildings that make up the hotel. The Palace Wing used to be the Palace Hotel, and is actually the older building of the two. If you reserve through our website there is a more in depth description of the rooms and which building they are located in! Thank you for staying with us and we hope you enjoyed your trip to Durango. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Everything was great. The staff was wonderful. They even let us park or car at the hotel all day after we checked out early in the morning too take the train. The location could not have been want betteR. I would stay again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Kalena_U, Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Thank you for your great review of the hotel! We appreciate your comments and feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you come back to visit Durango again soon!

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

We made reservations several months earlier through Expedia. I thought we were getting a great deal. Rooms in Durango are usually pricy. I had emails regarding the rate as well as emails from the GP confirming the rate. Save all your emails and receipts. Upon checkout they did not charge us the agreed upon rate. They claimed they needed payment at that time for full amount. I called Expedia. No help. I emailed the hotel manager. No response. I felt I needed to dispute the charge through American Express. Two months later, I just received confirmation from Amex that they were refunding us the difference. Having all the emails from Expedia and the GP really helped.

Now about our room. We had a room on the third floor facing Main Avenue. It was surprisingly quiet! We had a room with two (very comfy) queen beds. And an updated bathroom. (Surprise!) there was a Kuerig ( that did not work) no refrigerator. ( I understand you can request one?) the elevator was barely large enough for two people. There was coffee all day on the lobby and cereal and fruit for breakfast. Go to the Lone Spur Cafe, few doors down, for a better breakfast -included! One of the best locations in Durango. Especially if the train is part of your itinerary.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank travelBelle55

Thank you for your review of the hotel! We are sorry to hear about the discrepancies with the rate. If you need any other help in clearing that issue up please call our front desk and we would be happy to help! We appreciate your comments and feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will visit Durango again soon!

Reviewed 2 August 2017

We had nearly the entire hotel for our guests for our wedding back in June. Although there were a few management changes during our planning, the owner and staff of the hotel did everything that they could do to make sure our weekend was perfect. Everybody was so nice and accommodating! The rooms are cute and clean. We keep having friends comment on how neat and historic he hotel was. It is in the perfect location in downtown Durango, right next to the train station. This hotel has tons of character and is one of a kind. We appreciate everything that they did for a bunch of us crazy Texans and for making our wedding weekend unforgettable! Look forward to getting back to Durango soon!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for your great review of the hotel! We are so glad that the experience was unforgettable and thank you for choosing the hotel for your special weekend. We appreciate your feedback and comments and we look forward to seeing you back in Durango again soon!