“Consistently Good”
Review of Chili House

Chili House
Ranked #260 of 654 Restaurants in Fort Collins
Reviewed 30 November 2016

We have been regulars at the Chili House for over 10 years. The food is consistently good. Prices are right and service with a smile.

Reviewed 2 August 2016 via mobile

A friend and I decided to have lunch together today. She selected Chili House, and then told me that she had been there before with her sister, who refused to eat there again. The statement made me very apprehensive, which proved to be completely justified.

There were some outstanding aspects of dining at Chili House. The staff members were very welcoming and friendly. Service was prompt, courteous and friendly. Sadly, that's where the outstanding aspects end.

I wanted Chicken Pad Thai, but didn't order it after discovering that it was not prepared in the traditional Thai manner, which includes bean sprouts, egg and lime wedges. Chili House omits such ingredients, and uses lemon wedges.

My friend ordered the Spicy Thai Rice Noodles, and I chose the Sesame Chicken. Both meals were accompanied by an egg roll, and choice of soup. My friend opted for two egg rolls rather than having soup. The Hot and Sour soup I ordered was inedible. The base tasted like beef rather than chicken, and the soup was like eating spoonfuls of Utah's Salt Lake. Two spoonfuls were more than enough for me.

Our entrees arrived quickly, but were disappointing. The egg rolls, which were filled with stringy cabbage, were over-cooked, and burned in places. The mostly rock hard Sesame Chicken was served with a sickeningly sweet sauce, and completely lacked any of the spiciness indicated on the menu. The chili oil I requested failed to reduce the sauce's sweetness. Unfortunately, the orange wedge garnish on the plate was the best part of my meal.

My friend's meal was equally dreadful. The extreme spiciness overwhelmed the dish; there was only heat and no flavor. In addition, the noodles were over-cooked to the point of mushiness.

If forced to choose between Sesame Chicken from Chili House or WalMart, I would opt for WalMart. The Sesame Chicken from WalMart leaves a great deal to be desired, and I've only eaten it once out of sheer desperation due not being able to cook. Sad to say, it was better than my lunch at Chili House. As my friend's sister has done, I won't be returning.

1  Thank Debra S
Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

Stopped for lunch. My husbands Mongolian beef included soup and egg roll. I ordered tempura shrimp which only included the veggies...
The food was so so ... Prices average... Staff very friendly and helpful.
Lunch started with a great hot and sour soup... But fell off from there... The tempura shrimp was breaded... Ugg... But the veggies were in a proper tempura batter which tells me the shrimp came from a box pre breaded. My husbands beef dish was tough and salty...
Wouldn't go out of my way... But not terrible

1  Thank KathleenK367
Reviewed 30 March 2016

We have been visiting or ordering delivery from Chili House for years, and were consistently pleased with the food. However, in recent months the quality has significantly deteriorated. In late February we ordered duck and it was overcooked and very salty. More recently we tried again, choosing different dishes. Both were bland, even though one was supposed to be spicy. The rice was dry and chewy. Hot and sour soup was ok, but far from the best in town.

1  Thank equitraveler47
Reviewed 29 March 2016

Stopped by this Asian cuisine restaurant on a business trip and was pleasantly surprised by the excellent food. I can't remember what I had - this was over 6 months ago - but it has dumplings in a broth, and more 'extras' to the entree than you can count. See pics. I would go back - even though it is a bit out of the way.