“Pretty good value for the price. Good pricing compared to other places.”

Sushi KAZU Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 17 April 2015

My fiancée and I have been here twice. Once because we wanted to try something new and this was one of the closest sushi places near our house. The first time we went we got the bento box which was pretty good. This review will be primarily on the second time we went, however. We saw that they offered "Kaiseki" here so we decided we'll be back to try it a second time as they require you to reserve ahead by at least two days for preparation. For those who do not know what Kaiseki is it's pretty much a Japanese style dinner where they bring out multiple courses involving various recipes, dishes, and styles. It's more of an eloquent way of eating and was $55 per person.

My fiancée and I had a great time eating Kaiseki here. It involved 6 dishes total. The first is Poke (Po-kay) or fish salad style with tuna and it was pretty good, we rate it 8/10. The second was our favorite, the Clam Soup. It's simply a soup with clam, thin lemon peels, and a few other ingredients, 9/10. The third dish was simply a plate of sashimi. Some tuna, yellowtail, squid, salmon roe, and salmon. This plate alone would probably be around $18-24 in most places. We give it a 7.5/10. The fourth was the tempura. There was sweet potatoes, mushroom, shrimp, okra, squash, and a few others. The shrimp was very good, the sweet potatoes was uncooked and was a bit hard so my fiancée didn't enjoy it. It came with a dip for you to eat the tempura with. Decent plate but nothing great, we give it a 6.5/10. The fifth was some sort of a grits soup that came in a pretty Japanese bowl and lid. Inside the 'grits' it had udagi, chicken, mushrooms, shrimp, and squid. All of which were juicy and tender and very good. The 'grits' is a bit heavy and isn't too easy to eat so my fiancée only ate half of hers and I finished the rest. We give this a 7/10. Then the last dish is actually just dessert. Which was two pieces of red bean mocha and two green tea. Mochi ice cream is just mocha ice cream.

Overall still pretty good, the pacing was good we didn't feel rushed nor did we have to wait between plates. Our drinks were filled. We rate the experience an 8/10 and would probably do it again with some friends at a later time.

Reviewed 29 March 2015

I'm a big sushi fan. Went in to sushi Kazuhiro about 9:00 pm on a Saturday night. Sports on the tv's. Club music pounding. But it still was just a typical, fluorescent light, sushi bar. The wait staff was mediocre at best. The sushi was very good. I had a Special House Sushi Salad which was very good. My wide and daughter both ordered side salads and one came out in a bowl...the other on a glass plate. Quality of all of the food was good but the atmosphere and service were just too "odd" to want to go back often. Too many other good sushi choices.

1  Thank jdikeman
Reviewed 6 November 2014

I love the friendly staff and the Japanese gentleman who is always there making the sushi. I have been here 5-6 times and the same sushi gentleman is there. He must be the owner and works a tremendous number of hours.

The sushi tastes good. I like the spicy tuna hand roll. My life likes the Philadelphia roll and may daughter loves the rainbow roll. Unfortunately, some of the rolls fall apart.

This is not a fancy place. It is in a strip mall. But, the friendly atmosphere and the tasty food makes it a good place to fulfil a spontaneous sushi craving.

Reviewed 26 October 2014

Tonight was the third time here. Second time for dinner. The food is good and so is the service. Although we sat at a booth there is also a nice bar. It was not very busy when we arrived at 5:30. However two groups came in while we were there. Both parties included an Asian diner. So that's a good sign. Dinners come with a salad, and delicious miso soup. Lots of food and very reasonably priced. Two dinners, and one beverage for $33.00 including the tip.

Reviewed 23 September 2014

Great fresh sushi made by talented chef. Several lunch specials everyday that are a good value and good food. Specials are generally under $10 for lunch. The restaurant is tiny, so go for an early or late lunch. Avoid the 12noon hour or be prepared to wait.