“Best Clam Chowder!”
Review of The Stone House

The Stone House
Ranked #5 of 105 Restaurants in Montrose
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2016

I eat at this restaurant often, I have never been disappointed. The clam chowder and calamari is great. Atmosphere is nice. Booths need some attention.

Reviewed 24 March 2016

Traveling through Montrose, this is a decent place for a decent meal. They have daily specials worth looking at. The place is always busy so we see that as consistency in delivery and a loyal following. One of the Towns better locally owned dining establishments.

1  Thank Richard S
Reviewed 23 March 2016

After reading all the great reviews, we decided to try it on this visit to Montrose.
We were greatly looking forward to trying the clam chowder, as we moved from Cape Cod to NM several years ago and have missed all things seafood! It was good, but I wouldn't call it traditional or "Boston" style. The velvety texture was sublime, but the addition of roasted red peppers(??) was just weird to us. The flavor was good, but unexpected in clam chowder that we are used to. I guess we are just purists where clam chowder is concerned. I had a patty melt, it was served on marbled rye that was very good, but ruined on the bottom because the sandwich was sitting in juice from the burger which left it wet and mushy. The burger itself had little flavor but was very juicy (thus the soggy bottom!). My husband had the special which was the "Italian sandwich".
It was piled high with assorted Italian meats, oliives and an overzealous schmear of pesto. There was also a thick sliced red/purple onion that was so strong tasting that he had to pull it out of the sandwich. It was served on ciabatta bread which was thick and quite chewy. He ate it, but said he'd never order it again.
The decor and atmosphere is VERY nice and cozy. Service was friendly but quite slow. We really wanted to love the food as much as the place! I think we will try again on our next visit to Montrose and try something different. It was really rather pricy for the quality we received though.

1  Thank Kristimey2828
Reviewed 19 March 2016

After being seated next to the cozy fireplace and the waitress going out of her way to help me with finding Californian wine to enjoy as we are not familiar with local labels we were feeling good. I am a verrrrry fussy steak eater and my fillet was a perfect medium rare with the sides that were offered with this it covered appitisers and main for under $30. The Kezmeister had the coconut shrimp and fish and chips and considering we weren't anywhere near the sea thoroughly enjoyed both dishes. I would recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank Kitmeister
Reviewed 17 March 2016

Best place to eat! Great food, service and atmosphere. This is my favorite restaurant in Montrose. It's ALWAYS good!

Been to The Stone House? Share your experiences!