Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
A stay in the plains of Colorado

Reviewed 13 August 2020
byabrook
Ants EVERYWHERE, Go to Horsetooth Instead

We parked at the beach area and immediately walking toward the sand the entire ground was infested... read more

Reviewed 30 September 2019
jseppanen
Denver, Colorado

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 July 2021

As some of the other reviews have mentioned, this certainly isn’t the nicest State Park but, the worst thing was a faction of people that act like they own the place! They’re able to get away with this because they’re in tight with one of the managers who’s name is Ryan. He’s the most drunk, belligerent bully I’ve ever met and his ‘people’ take his lead on pushing their weight around. My wife and daughter did not feel safe here and we left after just one night. Just an awful place! Until he power structure at Jackson Lake is changed, this is definitely a place to avoid!

Date of experience: July 2021
1  Thank jonathancQ927QX
Reviewed 28 September 2020

This park is COMPLETELY misrepresented from its description online. This is NOT an "oasis in the plains"...More like a cesspool of death and stagnancy... The water is a slimy green color like the color of bird feces. Dead carp carcasses spread spotted the water and shoreline. Likely dying from the unlivable water conditions. (This lake is completely surrounded by commercial agriculture so the deadly pesticides used to spray the fields would definitely seep down into the water table and into the lake). This lake should be avoided if you appreciate your health and well being. Should be on the list for "Top 15 Toxic Beaches". If you enjoy rowdy neighbors and the sound of a rumbling rv generator I would definitely put this on your bucket list. The buzzing of swarms of rampant mosquitos adds a certain charm to the already decaying atmosphere.

Date of experience: September 2020
3  Thank jkemal
Reviewed 22 September 2020

It's a pretty park. The website wants me to write more though. Nothing else to say though... the end.

Date of experience: June 2020
1  Thank HighwayJoeAnson
Reviewed 13 August 2020

I have read many reviews of Jackson Lake State Park before I stayed so I was wondering how bad it could be. I really don't understand what people expect, it's nature. There will be some bugs and ants. I lived most of my life in Florida. The bugs in Jackson Lake State Park are not as when you camp in Florida. I also lived near the water in Florida and at times the land near water stinks and at has dead fish. It is a campground in the plains of Colorado. It was very hot when I went and on the spot that we stayed there wasn't any trees. Other campsites do have trees but it is the plains, there isn't many trees for miles. This state park doesn't have hardly any light pollution at night, so the views of the stars are spectacular! The views of the sunrise and sunset are also beautiful. Even thought it was close to 100 degrees during the day, at night we needed a blanket because of the cool breezes and much cooler temperature. Read the rules of the park because the state park checks at least once a day to make sure rules are followed. Example: we had 1 small rv and two tents. They made us take down a tent because only 1 hard rv and 1 tent is allowed. There wasn't any garbage laying around but the showers in the two different bathrooms were not draining properly. I would camp here again if I wanted a Colorado plains experience again.

Date of experience: August 2020
Reviewed 1 August 2020

Our 2-night reservation became a 1-night visit. There is NO beach access without walking several campsites down to a stairway--quite difficult for my disabled body! The beach was wet and rocky, and rotting fish were left to rot and stink more. At and around our campsite, red ant nests and goat-heads were plentiful. The sharp and sticky goat-heads were tracked into our RV and difficult to remove. As the day became evening, SWARMS of little flying bugs surrounded us and entered our RV to spend the night. We were miserable! This camping experience was certainly NOT worth the $72 we paid, and we won't go back.

Date of experience: July 2020