“Noisy, rude, unhelpful”
Review of Spruce Lodge

Spruce Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in South Fork
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I wanted to like the Spruce Lodge, but for $100+/night I expected better than one step up from a Motel 6. The pictures make it look much more cozy and quaint than it really is. We stayed in the Baxterville Room. The bed was so creaky you couldn’t roll over without waking the other person up. The paint and texture was peeling off the walls, giving it a very run-down look. Some of the towels had stains resembling poop on them. There was a clog in the bathroom sink. The hardwood floors had nails sticking up partly, so that our socks caught when we walked in that area. The floors were creaky, and fellow guests going past in the hallway sounded like a herd of elephants. The noise from the lobby also carried up to our room and we were woken up each morning by chatter in the foyer below us at 6 AM. The floors were also incredibly dirty. After walking the few feet from the bathroom to the bed, I had to brush dirt and hair off my feet. My husband, trying to be non-confrontational, asked if there was a mop he could use to clean our very dirty floor…and they gave him one to do it himself without apology or offering to help. Which brings me to their “don’t like it? There’s the door” attitude. They have signs posted saying their restaurant is where “happy people eat. If you are grumpy or in a hurry, come back another day.” A sign in their so-so continental breakfast area says they reserve the right to charge you for taking extra food. The only time I saw a staff member, she came into the breakfast area with wet hair, scowling at the guests. She had a little boy with her so I took her for a guest, until she started swearing at the “little b*$%*#d” cat who had snuck in through the front door. When my husband told me she was an employee (the one who gave him the mop), I was shocked at the complete lack of professionalism.

At check out my husband brought some of these issues to the attention of a gentleman who we had not seen previously and he said we should have brought it up sooner. Since the lady who gave us the mop was so surly though, we didn’t think there was much point. If you bring up that your floor needs mopping and they let you do it yourself, how much help can you expect?

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 August 2017

This is not a bad place. Our room was clean. The beds were okay. There was a small refrigerator.The price was low for summer in Southwestern Colorado. The employees were helpful. Its location is convenient to the highway. It is just that some things could and should be better. One of the lights in the room no longer had its pull switch and had to be turned on and off by turning the bulb. The bathroom door stuck on the floor and would not open completely. These aren't big deals but are two things easily fixed by simple attention to maintenance. The room needed more electrical outlets and a general freshening up.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

If you like rustic this is a stop for you! A Wooden screen door welcomed us as we entered our room. The tv was a vintage bubble screen backed by a satellite box. Made me appreciate my LED I left at home! Beds were soft but comfortable and clean. The mini fridge worked well. The bathroom was functional and clean but I didn't know they ever made a commode that was so short! We left early because of altitude sickness but I never bothered to ask for a refund or credit as there were notices to that affect! Oh, one more thing, watch your step on the property as there appears to be chickens on the loose! On our next visit to SF, we'll look for something a little more modern.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

My family and I love this place, we have been coming here since 2013. We've always come in the winter to ski, so we tried this summer to see what south fork Colorado has to offer! Gotta say this has been the best summer vacation we have ever taken, and most of all the people who owns the Spruce Lodge!! We love staying at the lodge, the best part for us is BREAKFAST and hanging out with Rob and Dee the owners!! Those are some awesome people they have become family to us!! We look for great people and a cool place to stay at and we've found them!! Thanks guys for y'all hospitality and friendship

Love you guys !!!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

The Spruce Lodge has been annual trip for my family and I. My kids look forward to every trip on seeing Rob and Dee. Most importantly the food Rob Cakes and Cinnamon rolls. When you see the sign in the living room "COME AS STRANGERS LEAVE AS FRIENDS" that means alot. If you ever get a chance to stay here it would be a wonderful experience.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1.5 km away
Four Seasons Lodge
Four Seasons Lodge
#16 of 19 in South Fork

Been to Spruce Lodge? Share your experiences!