“Avoid if you can ”
Review of Western Lodge

Western Lodge
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. I found the owner rude and discriminating. When asking which rooms were available for another nights stay I suggested myself and my male friend could share a double bed if there weren't any two bed rooms available, as it was a busy weekend in town. He said that he didn't ever let two men share a bed in his motel.
this made me feel very uncomfortable, and it's no doubt homophobic. I was shocked at his reaction and don't think it's any of his business who sleeps in a two person bed
The room was overpriced, costing us over 100 dollars. I've stayed in much nicer motels for half the price. Room was very basic, seemed clean enough to me. I expected some body wash and shampoo for what I paid, though there was only a hand soap dispenser attached to the wall of the shower. Motel is located in the downtown area which is a perk.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank lonewolf20165

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

I blame myself for not reading the reviews before booking. We paid online ahead of time and after checking in, the lady who checked us in was very pleasant by the way, we got our key headed to our room. Once inside the place smelled terrible, and was very dated. The beds were by far the worst we ever slept on and the linens were old and kind of yellowish. After a bad night sleep we decided we couldn't stay another. I asked the old guy at the office for a refund for the second might but he was a total jerk and refused to give a refund. He actually told me he would sue me for slander if I gave them a bad review. Be very beware of this place, don't stay unless you have no choice. I believe I'd rather sleep in my car.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2016 via mobile

This is the cheapest place to stay in steamboat, I am fine with the outdated furnishing. There are not many places you can sleep in a clean bed anywhere in Colorado for under 100$ a night. The owner was Super nice! If you show him respect he will show it back to you. We will definitely be going back because our experience was great

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2016

I had to call the police on the owner! This was hands down the worst experience I have EVER had traveling! We were in town for a 50 mile mountain bike race, we just needed some where clean and quiet we could rest for the night as we planned to be up at 4:30 to prepare for the 8 am race start. As far as the reviews that say you get what you pay for --- TAKE HEED --- and do not make RESERVATIONS HERE NO MATTER WHAT! In fact, if you choose to disregard the long list of negative reviews, before you give these people a dime of your money or your credit card info, ask to see the room first because otherwise once you hand it over, it is GONE - HE IS A VERY AGGRESSIVE, RUDE, VIOLENT, UNPROFESSIONAL MAN and will NOT give you a refund! We checked in and when walked in the room the overwhelming smell of urine first hit us and it was so strong it burned your eyes. The room was dated in every way imaginable. I immediately pulled back the dirty polyester covers to check the bed to find it was dirty and the mattress was also covered in heavy duty plastic that would have made sleeping on it miserable had it not been dirty and ancient. We decided that we would not be willing to stay there and went to the front desk to ask for our money back. The man was immediately RUDE and said NO REFUNDS- 48 HOUR CANCELLATION POLICY- I explained that I was not cancelling that I had arrived and checked in but that their room was unacceptable and I was asking for a refund. He said, no refunds and that he was going to "teach me a lesson" and took the key away. I explained that I worked in management and was shocked at his lack of customer service or accountability for his business. I told him I was going to call the police if he did not refund my money, He said, he didn't care that I could call Hillary Clinton. He has a glass divider between him and the customer and I asked if he needed that in a small town because he had a lot of issues with customers because of how he ran his business- he then looked over at my boyfriend and said, "if I was your boyfriend I'd kick your butt (but he did not use those words)" - So, I walked out and called the police (which I guess happens regularly with the owner). They said they could not do anything bc it was considered a "civil matter" but I could dispute the credit card charge. By this time it is almost 8 pm (we should have been getting into bed at this time to be up for our early morning race) and we had to call around the busy town to try to find another room, whilst not being refunded for this awful one. We ended up having to pay $260 for a room on the other end of town and only getting a couple hours rest before the big day. I am still very upset with how this man treated us. We have reported them to the Better Business Bureau but I hope that my review can spare you the trouble of dealing with this man and his run down motel. The previous owners have even left reviews to the sad, embarrassing state of the motel now.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Melody D
Reviewed 13 June 2016

I want to rate this place in the negative numbers.
Honestly, I'm surprised this place hasn't been shut down.
It was not my choice to stay here, by the way. It was super late and we had to stop driving. A poor choice on travel partners whim; said he stayed there prior.
And I just thought I had once stayed in the nastiest motel ever, in North Carolina,
Nope.
This place takes the cake in disgusting. Dirty, old, ratty mismatched bath towels, etc.
The only good, for the most part-it was warm inside.
I am embarrassed to say I had the displeasure of staying here. Truly.
I have stayed at campgrounds with cleaner restrooms, Seriously.
I'm glad I had flip flops with me. The tent floor on my dirtiest camping trips were cleaner.
Also:The guy running the front desk had accordion music blaring...must have been after midnight when we arrived.
All the others are right.
DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!!!!