“Good Experience for New Skiers Ages 7-9”

Telluride Ski School
More attraction details
Owner description: A ski school for children which includes lift tickets, lunch and ski lesssons.
Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

We brought three kids, ages 7, 8, and 9 to ski for the first time. We put them in lessons for one day and then we took them skiing with us for two days (just the afternoons) following their lesson. By day 3 of our trip, we were able to take them down any green or double green, as well as the easier blues (such as Enchanted Forest). They fell in love with skiing, which is exactly what we had hoped would happen.

Things we wish we had known ahead of time about ski school and Telluride:
1) Ski School meets at Mountain Village Ski Lesson Center (right below the gondola where the stairs come down) between 9 and 9:15; don't be late! You need to go into the Lesson Center prior to that to have their tickets printed and check them in. Lines form so it is best to arrive 20-30 minutes early. Once checked in, kids are driven by cart to the Magic Carpet area (no more tow ropes) just below lift 1/Chondola. There might be two areas (one under lift 1 and the other by lift 4) but our kids were only at this one.
2) Equipment for kids to attend ski school includes skis, boots, AND helmets. You need to rent these in advance if you don't bring them. Kids do not learn with poles and cannot use them in ski school unless they are level 5 or higher which would take a few days at least.
3) Ski Valet is the best service ever. You can drop off your skis, boots, and poles just at the edge of the snow and they will be there when you need them the next day. They keep your ski boots on boot warmers. They will also keep your shoes and regular clothes for the end of day. You can call ahead and reserve it or sign up there. Ski Valet makes it so you don't have to hall your ski equipment all over or walk endlessly in ski boots. They also have lockers you can rent. Their office is located below the gondola as well (take the elevator down and you're right there).
4) Kids eat lunch during ski school and it is included in the price (unless it says otherwise).
5) Water is provided at the magic carpet area.
6) If you are staying in town (and not at Mountain Village), the gondola only takes about 5 minutes and is free. Then in town, there is the Galloping Goose, a free bus/shuttle that loops about every ten minutes. You can get the bus schedule and main locations on the internet. It is so easy and the drivers are very friendly and helpful that it makes having a car ridiculous.
7) Beginner ski runs are by lift 1 but also up at lift 11. They just have to be able to ski all the way down if you go to lift 11.

We had a great trip and will definitely be back to do it again - including putting our kids in ski school the first day to get re-acquainted with skiing.

Hope this info helps!

"encouragement"
in 3 reviews
"chondola"

Reviewed 15 February 2017

We are a large group that came for a business related meeting. All were experienced skiers with lots of ski school experience in other resorts. We found the ski school poorly run, with very little thought given to the best interests of the student. Lots of waiting around, sub par instruction, and even a rude instructor. One member reported a good experience with an instructor from Australia, and another had a good experience with an instructor who made a point of telling us how poorly the ski school was run!!! Wow. We notice that people who seem to like this ski school are first timers or beginners, and maybe that's the only thing this ski school knows how to do. But we can affirm that, as a group, with one or two exceptions, this ski school is unresponsive to the needs of intermediate/ advanced skiers, and one of their instructors (mark G.) is super rude and nasty. We will not return!

3  Thank EricRouge
Reviewed 9 February 2017

I'm an adult first-time skier. I signed up for the Never Ever Beginner Ski Class, and I'm so glad I did. My instructors were Phil and Shaun, and they were really helpful, supportive and encouraging. Shaun was particularly helpful to my friend who was struggling with the basics and needed extra attention. They made great use of the short class, and by the end, I truly felt like I'd learned a lot. Money well spent. Thanks, Shaun and Phil.

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

Booked a private lesson for our family. Woodfin was our instructor. Very happy how he accessed everyone, listened to our concerns ( haven't skied in 10 years, broken leg last time) and worked with all of our ski levels. Gave us confidence that we could ski together the rest of our vacation.
15year old was starting over learning, 19 yr old had broken leg last time on skis. Husband used to east coast skiing. Woodfin was very professional and very helpful. Telluride has the long sunshine lift that leads to lots of good greens. Very fun restaurant off lift 4- music and smoked pulled pork sandwiches. Free gondola connects mountain village to town of telluride. Beautiful views at night and day. 13 minute ride to town. Do not need a car. Small town atmosphere.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

1/4/17

My husband got me a group ski lesson for Christmas. I've tried snowboarding before and didn't like it so I figured I would give skiing a try. My lesson was from 11-3:45pm and we met outside of the ticket area. When I arrived I told my instructor that I think my boots were too tight and we told me they were so he went with me to exchange them. My instructor's name was Luke, was he super friendly. After we fixed my boots we were over to a flat area and he showed our group the basics. I was in group of 4 people including myself. He taught us the logistics about our skis, how to properly use them and put them on. Like showed us how to turn, the importance of your stance while skiing and how to stop and slow down. After the basics he took us to the beginner magic carpet area. This was our first run down a slow incline and he helped us get our bearings. We were here for 2 hours and then went and had lunch. After lunch he was going to take our group down an actual trail. More than half of our bigger group bailed so this part of the lesson was just three people (including myself) and our instructor. Luke took us down the easiest trail which was a little terrifying but he was very attentive and made me feel safe. He encouraged me that I can handle this trail, which I did! Luke did a fantastic job, he's an amazing teacher with a vast knowledge of skiing! I highly recommend him as an instructor. He also does private lessons too.