“Could be better”

Radisson Hotel Cromwell
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cromwell
“Could be better”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I stayed at the crown plaza because of a wedding. After a 3 hour drive I walk in and see the amazing lobby and think what a nice hotel. Well I was wrong I go to check in and was told that a debit card is not there desired method of payment. He then tells me he has to put a $260 dollar hold on my account incase i smoke in the room and this was on top of the price of the room. Then I was told I would not be able to charge anything to my room. I thought this was strange. My next stop was the restraunt for breakfast where there was a sign saying breakfast served till 11 am it was only 10:15 and was told the buffet was no longer available and I would have to order off of the menu. My wife and I where the only two people in the whole place and the hostess/waitress was walking around sipping on a bottle of dr pepper while we sat there waiting for service. When we finnally did recieved our food it was under cooked. We then go to our room and see a balcony try to go out there and the door was screwed shut the bathroom was tiny and the sliding doors on the closet where to big and only opened about six inches on ether side.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Mab6680
hbarth, Director of Sales at Radisson Hotel Cromwell, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
Thanks you for staying with us and sharing your concerns. We do accept debit cards but like to make our guests aware of that unlike a credit card, we cannot authorize a debit card without charging it. Most of our guests prefer to use a credit card instead of a debit card because we just place a “hold” on the card instead of charging it. I do apologize that the breakfast buffet was not open after 10:15am, we schedule the buffet based on demand. Thank you for bringing to our attention the staff person with the Dr. Pepper. This is unacceptable and we will speak to the appropriate person. Unfortunately due to safety concerns we were forced to screw the sliders shut to prevent accidents. We are also currently refreshing our guest room bedding package and installing 32” Flat Screen TV’s. Thanks again for staying with us, we hope you will give us another try in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hebrew first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed at the Cromwell Crowne Plaza hotel and was quite pleased with the service. The hotel staff was able to assist me in getting a room at 1AM in the morning early on a Friday morning and when I was unsure of how to use the K-cup drink from the Kurig coffee machine they provide for guests near the front desk and they explained how it worked to me.

Aside from the front counter staff the bell hops were fantastic. When a person was locked out of their room the bell hop happened to overhear that she had locked herself out of her room and offered assistance to let her into it if she could describe some of the articles on the other side of the locked door prior to his checking to see if she was correct. This shows a level of respect for the hotel patrons as he could have just as easily have used a card and slipped the door lock without asking any questions or continued about his way completely ignoring her plight.

The food is great and the restaurant offered grits which is a nice change from the norm. Overall I would say the stay was quite good.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Boston
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Myself and a large group of friends were attending a convention here, and I was very pleased with the service provided. Not only were the general hotel staff helpful and friendly, but the entire event we were attending had no real problems with the location thanks to the attentive employees. Well done!

The building is somewhat bizarre on the inside. The layout is almost as confusing as an M.C. Esher drawing, so finding your way around will take some getting used to! The central pool area connects a lot of the wings of the hotel, and is enclosed under a glass dome, making it a decent spot for swimming and relaxing in any weather with plenty of natural light.

Although the rooms are dated with average decor and aging carpet, I slept well. There may have been a mild mold problem since I had some cold-like symptoms which immediately departed once the event was over. Some of the facility teeters on the edge of sketchy, but if I'm in Cromwell again I would stay here. A helpful staff goes a long way towards a comfortable stay.

I didn't eat at the restaurant myself, so I can't speak to its quality.

Room Tip: Loft suites and end rooms have significantly less ambient noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Warrington, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Lobby is modern, but all other ammenties and decor I experienced hasn't been updated in probably 20 years. Cleanliness could also use some improvement. The last factor was that this is one of those hotels where you hear everything in the rooms next to you. Alarm clocks...morning yawns...bathroom noises (and I don't mean the shower). The only reason I stayed there was because the expo was on site. I wish it was at a Hilton property!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
hbarth, Director of Sales at Radisson Hotel Cromwell, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Thank you for sharing your comments and concerns with us. I’m sorry you feel we are outdated. We completed a $6 Million Renovation in 2007 and are currently in the process of upgrading all flat screen TV’s for our guestrooms by the end of 2011 (20% complete now) as well as making additional capital improvements. We work very hard to maintain a clean and comfortable environment and most guests rank us above average when it comes to cleanliness. We hope you will give us another opportunity to make a positive impression with you.

Travellers are raving about these Cromwell hotels

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Cromwell for a family wedding. The hotel was in great shape - very clean. The hotel is very large - lots of meeting rooms and banquet halls - so there was a lot of room to explore. The pool was nice - the glass domed ceiling over the pool let the sun in and made it seem more like an outdoor pool. The kids thought it was great and for the four days we were there - we were the only ones in the pool area. The staff also was great - everyone went out of their way to be friendly and accomodated every request we had (late checkout/extra towels). We have travelled all over the world, and I have to say this was the best hotel experience we have had.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank wamu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromwell
0.6 km away
Hampton Inn Rocky Hill
#2 of 5 in Rocky Hill
5.4 km away
Residence Inn Hartford Rocky Hill

Been to Radisson Hotel Cromwell? Share your experiences!