“The Usual Good Gris Grub, But...”

Griswold Inn ~ Dining
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Essex
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the “storybook” village of Essex mere steps from the Connecticut River, this 1776 landmark offers three distinct dining experiences. “Historic Dining” is offered in four handsome rooms - The Covered Bridge, The Gun Room, The Library and The Essex Room – where a renowned maritime art collection fills the walls. The Inn’s New England heritage and connection with the sea is apparent in the classic seasonal cuisine offered; diners may enjoy a more contemporary culinary experience in the stunning wine bar featuring tapas-style dining and an extensive selection of wines by the glass; tavern fare is offered in the atmospheric, award-winning Tap Room where lively music rings out nightly. Patio dining is an option May through October, weather permitting. Lunch and dinner served daily, Hunt Breakfast on Sunday.
Reviewed 4 February 2018

We stopped by the Gris for lunch a week ago. The food was, as usual, quite tasty. However, we were dismayed with the service (or lack thereof) that we received. At first I chalked this off to the busy time but even as the place emptied out, the service remained subpar.

Two of us joined the table a few minutes after the other two, so to be fair, the fact the server didn't wait the three minutes for the entire party to be present isn't, most likely, her fault. This however resulted in her taking beverage orders piecemeal. We had less than a couple of minutes to peruse the menu when she wanted to know if we were ready to order. This is when two of us ordered a beverage. One already had his beverage. When the fourth spoke up to order one, the server was whisking herself away...so Companion 4 ordered the drink afterward and said it was okay to bring it with the dinner. In my opinion the server should have brought it then, but she seemed happy to not be bothered; of course she never brought it at all and had to be reminded. This is the way the whole meal went. My husband asked for Parmesan cheese, and that was not forthcoming. She never came by to ask how we were faring, and waving and trying to get her attention failed, so that cheese was never seen. We ordered desserts and two cups of tea. My friend started to ask for a certain tea. At The Gris, they've always brought a box of teas to choose from. This time, before my friend could finish saying it, she whisked herself off again and came back with two cups of lukewarm, pre-steeped, generic tea. Is The Gris now serving tea this way? I just really think not. There were then issues with the bills, which when you request separate checks can happen - but the fact it took her at least ten minutes to come back to fetch the bills/payment was unacceptable. At this point, most tables were empty, so the crowd theory doesn't hold. I wanted lemon with the tea, but forget even attempting to ask for it. I meant to call The Gris about this, as the entire party was dismayed by this substandard service - unfortunately this review will have to suffice.

1  Thank sullific

Reviewed 24 January 2018

What an interesting place to enjoy a fantastic meal...a little pricey though. Atmosphere is authentic, cozy and full of antiques (at least they look like antiques!) and historical maritime artifacts that make a statement for Connecticut's heritage. It's also smack dab in the middle of a charming area of town with small specialty shops and a small marina. The restaurant itself is worth the trip - the bonus is the menu - lots of choices on both the luncheon and dinner menu. The food came hot and inviting - service was a bit slow, but not a problem if you take in the surroundings. .....and free popcorn... I've also had the pleasure of enjoying their "Hunter's Breakfast" on a different occasion. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed 22 January 2018

During our stay at the Griswold Inn, we enjoyed having a drink, some tasty food and entertainment. Friday night there was an oldies rock band. Good music and good food - a winning combination!

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

Can not fault this place. Great food with a variety of choices and the restaurant itself is very warm and inviting. The staff were friendly and attentive which made for a great night

Reviewed 29 December 2017

My wife and I chose the Griswold Inn to celebrate our 49th Anniversary. We went for lunch rather than dinner to enjoy the immediate surroundings of Essex, a quintessential New England town. The inn, itself, is fascinating; oldest continuously operating inn in the United States, dating back to 1776. My wife savored the soup of the day (Vegetable Beef) Italian half-sandwich w/ arugula, melted cheese, and Italian meat ($11.00). I ordered a special - Butternut Ravioli w/ feta and toasted nuts ($17.00). The Griswold Mud Pie w/ chocolate crust, topped with chocolate sauce and toasted almonds ($7.50)...DELICIOUS dessert to complement our meal. I wholeheartedly recommend the Griswold Inn; be sure to allow time to survey the historic architecture and decor. Located in Essex, Connecticut (Rt-9) just 15 minutes off I-95 (Exit 69)