“Pho in Groton !?!”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 18 October 2015

Yes Virginia, there IS Pho in Groton. Is it as good as the pho in San Jose or Honolulu...no. But the Pho Tai was surprisingly good - one of the better bowls I've tasted in the northeastern US. As other reviews have noted the broth lacks the depth of flavor of a great pho and achieves complexity by a strong hand with the cinnamon and anise. But my wife and son both loved it and I found it perfectly acceptable.

But for my own pho I chose the Bun Bo Hue which was fabulous. The spicy heat and greater variety of meats delivered a much richer flavor - a 5 star dish all the way. My daughter wasn't in the mood for soup and so went for the Rice Noodles with Coconut Milk and Shredded Pork (Banh Tam Bi) which was surprisingly delicious. We also shared two orders of summer rolls (Goi Cuon) where were fine but not great.

The bubble tea was ranged from good (the Taro) to eh (the Mango). For those of an older generation the Mango bore an uncanny resemblance to St. Joseph's children's aspirin (if only it came in mango instead of orange). And as others have noted the tapioca balls are on the soft side.

Lastly, the decor was standard mid-grade Asian restaurant but the service was great. One oddity was window ledge into the kitchen at which the cook hit a bell and shouted (I assume) 'Order Up' in Vietnamese.

Reviewed 21 July 2015

One of the few Chinese places in Groton. They have an extensive Vietnamese menu which I think is what most people come for, unfortunately I went for Chinese. In any event my dish of boneless ribs, fried rice and fried shrimp was very bland. Just no flavor to the rice at all and the boneless ribs were fatty. A little surprised that I could not get low sodium soy sauce?? Beer only. Apparently it is BYOB. They seem to do an active take out business. Disappointed

1  Thank Matthew T
Reviewed 23 February 2015

We only travel to this restaurant for their Vietnamese food, so cannot speak about the Chinese, but we find it to be yummy and very delicious. The Vietnamese Pancake, as much as we love it, can be inconsistent. When it is prepared right, it is very, very good. However, when it is not made correctly, it can be awful. Still we continue to order it and hope for the best. All of their Vietnamese noodles dishes are excellent along with some of their appetizers such as Beef Sticks #9. They also have Vietnamese Sandwiches, which some local fans have said are amazing. So, we plan to make a point of trying those next time.
We have to overlook their lack of an on-line menu. So, if you are ordering Take-Out make sure to speak to someone who is fluent in English and can translate the menu for you.

Reviewed 29 October 2014 via mobile

These reviews are crazy. People who don't know how to eat pho criticize on how it is made. My friends from Vietnam love it there as do I. And I can safely assume any Vietnamese person knows more than whimpering Americans who only care about customer service. I've never had Single complaint.

3  Thank Adler H
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone because of there food and specially there customer service . My wife and I ordered a soup , I ordered the extra large soup when I received mine I can see that they only put little bit of meat or tendons on the soup and charge you almost 10 dollars for it. My wife ordered a seafood soup and on the pictures they have calamari, egg , shrimp. But came out with fish ball , 2 shrimp, and imitation crab meat. So we spoke to the server and explain about the findings so he went to the back kitchen and get the cook to explain on what we found but instead of apologize we get that we suppose to ask question first before we order and we ordered the wrong number and he keep arguing with us on how to place an order this clearly that this place or there employees ever take any tips classes . Never again will I or any of my family will ever come back to this restaurant again. I will defiantly will spread this experience to all my friends and family. Will never ever recommend this restaurant to anyone!

1  Thank Art L

Been to Phantasia? Share your experiences!