“Hartford’s Best”
Review of Max Downtown

Max Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Max Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 446 Restaurants in Hartford
Price range: US$60 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Trumbull Street
Description: The crown jewel of the Hartford, Connecticut dining scene, Max Downtown has been serving its guests for over 21 years and remains a fan favorite. After a top-to-bottom renovation in the summer of 2017, the restaurant has never looked (or tasted) better.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Max’s flagship restaurant lives up to the billing. It’s a half-step above Max Oyster on all levels. Great food, perfect service. Feels like New York. Our server Tom (from Paris) was among the best we have ever had.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The food was excellent, and the wait staff was attentive but not hovering. In all, the experience was very nice.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I find most steakhouses to be pretentiously overpriced, and this is no exception, but it is a solidly enjoyable atmosphere. Great selection of whiskey (as advertised), loud but tolerable ambience, nice place to eat at the bar.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

There isn't anything special about the food here. It's a steakhouse. It has limited offerings, but what it does offer is done well. What makes this restaurant special is the staff, from the bar to the servers to the sommelier. You will feel like part of their family after only a few visits. Meanwhile you get to simply enjoy a decent meal with terrific wine pairings. This is on my weekly rotation whether for dinner, lunch, drinks, apps, business, with friends, or solo.

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

A couple of friends and I stopped for a late night snack at the bar that turned out to be a top notch feast. First of all, the pasta dish (I can't remember the type of pasta) was freshly made and exceptional. No joke folks! One of the best I've had.
The burger was perfectly made and very flavorful. The cauliflower dish was also very good. I can't remember what my friends ordered, but they raved as well.
I also had the best Margherita hands down. Whoever that bartender was, she's the bomb.

The atmosphere was much less snooty than I thought it would be. For the quality of our food, atmosphere and the professional staff that served us, the price was well worth it. I can't wait to go again soon.