“Amazing Food and Wonderful Pub”

The Duke William Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Duke William Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Ickham
Cuisines: Gastropub
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed in the Duke William at the beginning of March, it was a birthday gift from my other half. So along with our stay, we had a dinner reservation and then breakfast the following morning.

For dinner, we both had starters (I cannot remember exactly what they were - I should of reviewed this a bit earlier!) and then we shared the 1kg steak between us (pictured) with a side of fries. The steak was lovely! Although some bits were slightly fatty, it was easy enough to cut out as the meat was cooked beautifully. We asked for it to be medium rare and it was lovely. Definitely a dish I would recommend, it is £60 but it seemed very good value for money when comparing against other steaks on the menu.
My partner had the chocolate pot for afters and he said that was incredible. I had a selection of ice cream which was lovely and refreshing.

Breakfast the following morning was also very nice, albeit slightly limited. If I remember correctly, it had bacon, sausages, egg, tomatoes, Black pudding, toast and mushrooms on the fry up - for someone like me who doesn't like tomatoes, mushrooms and black pudding it did mean the breakfast was slightly limited. There were other options including a veggie breakfast. Before ordering we were offered juice/water/tea and coffee so every drink that you could ask for first thing in the morning.

Good service on both the dinner and breakfast. The pub is lovely, amazing fire, quirky decor which I loved. Would very much recommend eating (and staying the night if you can!)

FOHTeam, Manager at The Duke William Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Many thanks for your lovely review, we will pass your comments on to the team and we sincerely hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

not always the obvious occasion for a sparkling review but went with inlays aunts uncles and kids for birthday celebration, food drink and hospitality first class.

I has the special which was Mackerel and was delicious. growing teenage boys had steaks all well cooked, we'd thoroughly recommend it if your ever going out for your mother in laws birthday!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This place is a little gem. It’s cosy, well decorated, with great staff and good food. Been here twice in the last 2 months, both times using a Travelzoo voucher.

First time the food was average but for the price paid good (iceberg wedge salad yum, fish & chips yum, it cheese pie not so good. Both desserts good but not memorable.

Second time iceberg wedge, salmon fish cake, stone bass, burger, sticky toff pud and choc pot all really yummy.

So all in all a thumbs up but.....and here is the but.....would I pay the normal menu prices and still be as happy? Well, Ive been 6 times now but never when there hasn’t been an offer on.

I do think the normal menu prices are on the high side for the food alone but add in the always great service and fab surroundings it’s probably about right.

Many thanks for your review.

We will pass your comments on to the team as feedback is always appreciated.

We sincerely hope you will give us another try someday.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Have visited this establishment several times and never been disappointed. Always really excellent food with friendly and courteous service. Highly recommend

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have been to the Duke on many occasions and cheerfully retuned, with a group of friends, for lunch. The staff were brilliant, very professional but also accommodating and patient. The service, which is becoming a problem in many establishments now, was well-timed which contributed significantly to the relaxed experience. Many of us chose different options of food and we were all very pleased with the quality and quantity of food, as well as the useful advice offered when requested. I am sorry to read that some diners have been disappointed but we still feel that the quality is excellent. We shall return with confidence. The décor is traditional, relaxing and comfortable, although, similar to a previous reviewer, I feel that the Ladies' facilities could be significantly improved. Without this minor comment I should be awarding 5 stars. Naturally I cannot comment on the facilities for the gentlemen! I shall have no hesitation in returning to the Duke William.

FOHTeam, Manager at The Duke William Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago