The Litchfield Inn(Litchfield)
US$129
US$119
Priceline
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$132/night.

US$162
Doubletree.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 October 2007

I had my doubts about coming to stay at this B&B. I had a wedding this past weekend (in October) and booked the reservation back in June. Ever since my first interaction with the owner, I always got the feeling that she was quite rude and not very friendly. For example, she was very curt and wasn't very helpful when I asked her questions. However, when I talked to her the week before to say we'd be getting in late due to a late flight, she was nice about it and said she'd leave the door open.

We got in on Friday night around midnight after driving a few hours through a downpour. We got into the rooms and found them to be quite damp, smelly, and musky, but we incorrectly assumed that was because it had been raining all evening. We also thought it smelled like wet dog, although I would have thought that the owner would have warned us that there were dogs before we got there (some people are very allergic to/afraid of them and would be quite angry to find them there upon their late arrival). We were all exhausted so we just sucked it up and went to bed.

We got up the next morning to a very meager breakfast, compared to other B&Bs I've stayed in. There was a mix-mash of different cereals all thrown together in one dish to spoon out of. There was also a fruit salad, but it seemed as if some of it was canned. She also had a basket of bread and pastries all cut up, and fairly stale. (They were even more stale the next morning!) For the price of the B&B I would have at least expected eggs, but all we recieved were carbs, carbs, carbs!

Also, by this point we realized that there were in fact two big dogs living at the house (a lab and large collie). The lab wasn't bad at all, but the "puppy" collie (which was mentioned in a review over a year ago!) kept jumping on us. It also kept barking at our car and running aroung it when we tried to leave in our car. One of us had to get out and distract the dog while we pulled out so we wouldn't hit it. Anyways, if you are in any way allergic to dogs I would strongly suggest finding a different B&B as there is dog hair everywhere, which was much more visible with the daylight. The smell we thought was temporary also stayed with us throughout the weekend, and all of my clothes (even ones I didn't wear) smelled like it when I got back home.

So after breakfast, we all had to take turns in showering so we could get to our wedding on time. The first person found it quite difficult to shower as they were on the tall side. Therefore water had spilled outside of the tub and onto the floor. About a half hour later we noticed that the water had been seeping into the twin bedroom! The owner - Maria - just threw towels on it and didn't even tell us about it. We just discovered it ourselves as someone walked into that bedroom. Then as everyone was getting ready we had blown a fuse because apparently the house can't handle a hair dryer. Maria seemed very put out by this, but hadn't given us any forewarning about it. I can't imagine that we are the first people to use a hair dryer there, so we were surprised when it took over 20 minutes to have it fixed. This also greatly cut our time in getting ready so that was a huge inconvenience. As we left the collie, again, jumped all over us. This was really annoying as we were all dressed up for a wedding and the dog was muddy from the rain from the night before.

We appreciated the fact that Maria said we could come and go as we please, but to be honest with you when I pay to stay somewhere I don't think I should be put under a curfew anyways. Before we left she asked what time we wanted breakfast so I told her 9am. We got in around midnight after the wedding and went straight to bed, as there was no tv or internet provided as she claims on her website.

In the morning we got a rude awakening at 8:30. Maria and her collie were at the door to wake us up. I appreciate the fact that she didn't want us to oversleep, but we were all adults, there were alarm clocks in each room, and we all had alarms on our cell phones. I thought it was quite intrusive. After she went downstairs she started playing music very loudly (keep in mind that it is 8:35am after a big day and wedding the night before). Once it got to be almost 9am we noticed that she kept slamming doors or cupboards, which we thought was intentional. We all felt like she was trying to get us out of the house as soon as possible, although she never told us when she needed us out by. While we were at breakfast she asked us if anyone was upstairs becuase she wanted to strip the beds. I was again annoyed because what if we wanted to lay down for a half-hour before getting ready to go? She did, after all, wake us up a half-hour earlier than we would have liked!

All in all it wasn't a very pleasant experience. Maria seemed completely put off by having people stay in her house, and acted the exact opposite way a B&B owner should. She was not welcoming at all, and did very little to make us feel at home. Had I known the experience was going to be like this I would have much rather paid a fraction of the price and stayed somewhere else! I don't think you could pay me to come back to this place! Also, just so you know, she only washed the flat and fitted sheet, and the regular pillow case from the beds. She reused the blankets and pillow sham which I thought was disgusting! I'm glad I didn't know this until the very end!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank rubytues23
Reviewed 2 July 2007

After landing at JFK in New York for a family re-union in Connecticut, we drove three hours through rush hour traffic to the
small charming village of Litchfield. It was getting pretty dark by the time we arrived but we couldn't find the B&B. We finally called the B&B out of desperation to ask for a landmark, and the woman on the other end very crossly informed us that if we had passed the Wamogo School then we had gone too far - not a very helpful or detailed response, as you can imagine....so we resorted to driving down the highway at about 20 miles an hour
despite the cars that were tail-gating us, and we finally saw a dark green mailbox among all the green shrubs and trees. When we pulled over we saw that the address was written on the mailbox in black magic marker, and that this was indeed our B&B.....without that number there would have been no way to find it since they had no large sign with the name of the B&B on it - it looked just like someone's residential mailbox.

Let me just pause for a moment and say that if you are ever staying at a B&B, it is not a good omen when the proprietor refuses to have a large, clearly visible sign announcing the name of the property, but instead selects a mailbox that blends in with the surrounding shrubbery and has barely-visible address
numbers on it. But in we went bravely in spite of our misgivings.

We learned that this place was built in 1735 and while that sort of building is charming to briefly tour, it is a very inconvenient place to actually stay....unless of course you like steeply slanted
floors, little half-steps that you trip over in the dark, and steep and narrow staircases with rickety bannisters. Taking a shower there was difficult since the claw foot tub was about eight inches off the ground in a very low-ceilinged bathroom, so that when you were bathing you had to squat in order to get under the showerhead while avoiding the nice patch of mildew that was thriving on the ceiling. (Picture Will Ferrell in the movie "Elf" when he is bathing in the elf-sized shower and has to cup his hands to throw some water on his back - that is exactly how my husband had to shower there.)

Maria Lokcer, the owner of the B&B, seemed somewhat put out at having guests at her property - she didn't even offer us a glass of water when we arrived. She also informed us that she had to work at her "second job" from 6:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. each morning while we were staying there so she would just leave breakfast out for us....I guess she didn't realize that the second "B" in "B&B" stands for "breakfast" and that typically
owning a B&B means you aren't free for your part-time shift at the community pool until the afternoon.

So the next morning we woke up and peeled off the dog-hair covered blankets and ventured downstairs for breakfast. I wish I could say that the bedding was the only thing covered in dog hair at this B&B, but that would simply be untrue. The fruit salad also
came with a nice helping of black lab fur, and the cream for the coffee was completely curdled. Luckily the stale Pillsbury crescent rolls seemed harmless enough.

Our second night there was pretty much like the first, except that I noticed that each time I turned over in bed I could distinctly smell dog. My husband was also disappointed because although the B&B's web site had promised a TV/VCR in each room and internet access, that turned out to be false advertising (although by that time that was really the least of my concerns as a guest there).

We would never stay there again and recommend that others avoid it as well, particularly since Maria Locker charges just as much as the other B&Bs in Litchfield, but without the service, amenities, or welcoming spirit that one expects at a B&B.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank SF_Traveler80
Reviewed 10 June 2007

This bed and breakfast is in a beautiful area full of quaint towns and is conveniently located right off a main road. I just didn't find the hostess to be particularly welcoming and, in fact, felt like I was a bit of an imposition to her. I was traveling alone so perhaps I was more sensitive to the distinct lack of warmth. On the plus side, the garden was lovely and the breakfast was fresh and ample. It wasn't a bad stay, but I wouldn't repeat it.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank sully8
Reviewed 23 July 2006

I couldn't find a review for the Litchfield Hills Bed and Breakfast but think it deserves a mention. We stayed for one night whilst travelling around New England. The B&B is situated off a busy main road in Litchfield (Bantam Road) and the entrance is only recognisable by the green postbox on the verge. Once we had entered the driveway, we found a wonderful and pretty timbered building filled to bursting with hanging baskets, lush foliage and a real oldie worldie charm. We were met first by Lillie, the black labrador, then by the cat, and then by Duchess, the collie attached to a lead followed swiftly by Maria Locker, our hostess. The house is about 200 years old and Maria has restored it in her 7 years living there to a home with character. There is a small porch at the front with a seating area. When you entered the house, you stepped into another era which was very comfortable. Our room was filled with antiques and nick nacks of times gone by. We were made very welcome. Breakfast consisted of fruit, toast, cerals, danishes and fruited breads all of which were very tasty and ample for us. We were the only guests at the time although there were 2 other rooms all similarly decorated. The bathroom was very quaint and filled with every toiletry need barring toothpast that you wouldn't need to open your own toiletry bag. We found Litchfield itself to be a very pretty place and in hindsight we should have stayed longer to properly explore the area. Thank you Maria for making our one night very comfortable. Perhaps next time we could stay longer!

Stayed: June 2006