“Great Gluten-Free Pizza in New Haven”
Review of Modern Apizza

Modern Apizza
Ranked #1 of 567 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Pizza, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 13 August 2017

I am not a gluten-free person, but my wife and daughter need to follow that diet. When we go to a pizzeria, I normally just go along with them and try to stomach the gluten-free crust. Modern Apizza's version is amazing and I would challenge anyone to tell the difference from a normal pizza crust. We tried the Crabmeat and the Italian Bomb (bacon, sausage, pepperoni, mushroom, onion, pepper, garlic) pizza. The Crabmeat is rather rich and a departure from the usual pizza topping, but very enjoyable. The Bomb is a great combination of toppings for the meat lover in the family with well-balanced flavors, nothing overwhelming. Each was delicious and there was enough for our daughter to take home for lunches during the week. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable, with a sort of throw-back kind of feel to it that brings back memories of non-chain pizza parlors. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Great place for dinner.

1  Thank CompleteCC
There are newer reviews for Modern Apizza

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Best Pizza I've had since Chicago in 1993! The Italian Sausage tasted like it came from Italy and the pepperoni had the most awesome flavor, like fresh pepperoni! Wonderful service. It was worth the hour we drive around I a full size pick up, trying to find a place to park! Go! Don't delay!

Reviewed 8 August 2017

My favorite pizza in New Haven - highly recommend the Italian Bomb. Size up from what you think you might order because even if you don't finish the pie you'll want leftovers!

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Nothing fancy here – just really delicious pizza. If you go, go for the pizza. The décor is run down –with booths that might even be original 1934 vintage, or perhaps the 1960s, but that is part of the charm of this college favorite. Cheap wine, and a few craft beers are available to accompany these amazing pizzas. I ordered a small 12” Italian Bomb. It was at least 16” in diameter, heaped with sausage, crispy bacon, pepperoni, cheese – its been a long time since I had a pizza this tasty. I’ll be back.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Stopped in for an early dinner on a Thursday evening around 5:30pm and were seated right away. We ordered 2 small pies, a tomato and a mozzarella. The mozzarella pie was excellent; the sauce, cheese and crust all had a great depth of flavor and the texture was just right. But omg the tomato pie was just incredible, with drizzled olive oil and grated cheese on top. It was one of the best pizzas I've ever had and believe me, that bar is high. Very friendly service and moderate prices. A New Haven favorite for sure. Can't wait to go back!