“Great Indian food”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

We just had lunch there again, and were reminded why this is one of our favorite restaurants in the area. Fantastic food, friendly staff and a nice setting. The lunch buffet is a great deal there were at least 8 different dishes, about half of them vegetarian, plus salads, sauces, naan, chicken, soup, and desert. You will not leave hungry. A great place to bring family, friends and clients.

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

Had been here more than a year ago.
Hated it, so much so that we headed straight for the creamery in newtown to pamper ourselves. I am off an Indian origin and just could not accept the food they serve in the nane of Indian food.

It is infact completely altered to be palatable to the locals.

Over the past year I met a few people who like ... ahem KOLAM.

So went there again last week.
And , I was put off yet again.
Even my little children did not like the food.

In my opinion, this food is not authentic indian fare. Period.

However in their defence this place had been there for over 15 years. So there is something they are doing right.

Their target audience is the non indian population and they seem to have struck a chord with the locals.

The lack of competition and places offering buffets will ensure that they will be in business for a long time.

My loss, will continue to pass by it without a second glance.

Will be making longer trips towards norwalk and Darien for a better indian fare

1  Thank jinesh_traveller
Reviewed 24 May 2017

I live in Newtown, and Kolam has (until recently) always been my "go to" for Indian. The food is consistently excellent, in particular the lamb biryani (which is mysteriously always different, but always tasty), the vindaloo, and the samosas. However, I had a very negative Mother's Day dinner which was the last straw in a series of less-than-pleasant customer service experiences. After being seated by a surly host who didn't even greet us, we waited 1.5 hours to be served. In the meantime, bundle after bundle of takeout went out the door. The waiter/host did not smile, did not greet us, and snatched the menu out of my hands before I could speak. I empathize - Mothers Day is busy, however, we made reservations, and you KNOW its gonna be busy -- that is how you make money -- suck it up! Smile, apologize, and offer your hungry guests more than a 1/2 serving of papadum. Or warn them the kitchen is slow, and suggest they order an appetizer. (even better, offer them one on the house!) My advice - skip Kolam until they learn to appreciate and respect their customers. Owners -- don't be greedy. Take care of the customers in-house. I hate spending my heard earned money and walking away feeling like crap.

2  Thank Natmike6
Reviewed 30 April 2017

The first time I was here, it was a pleasant experience. Of course, I like to go back to places I've enjoyed, and the last 3 times I've returned, I've left less than impressed. Their dinner menu is fairly broad, and has some really nice dishes. So I'd definitely recommend coming here for that. However, I've visited the lunch buffet twice, and I have to say, it's pretty boring, without much variety in the selections. Service is adequate, but somewhat standoffish.

Reviewed 19 April 2017

We love Indian food and since our favorite place in Brookfield CT closed we now go to Kolam. Its a bit of a ride for us but well worth it. Staff is very friendly and the food is so fresh and full of flavor.

Been to Kolam fine Indian Cuisine? Share your experiences!