“Wonderful restaurant for big groups, food is ok.”
Review of Fresh Salt

Fresh Salt
Reserve with OpenTable
Fresh Salt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 84 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Price range: US$25 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 154
Description: Named Best Waterfront Dining and Best Seafood by Connecticut Magazine in 2016, Fresh Salt serves seasonal and locally inspired meals. Our tables overlook the waters of the Connecticut River where the fresh river meets the salt of the Long Island Sound. It's a treasured and historic spot with a natural environment that is rich in life. Fresh Salt restaurant reflects that lively diversity: We have a raw bar, a seasonally varied menu, and offer as much as we can from the farms, brewers, cheese makers and other food enterprises that are springing up around our region. Fresh Salt delivers a dining experience that's comfortable and relaxed. Our staff is here to be of service to you, our kitchen stands ready with fresh ingredients, a deep wine cellar and carefully crafted fusions of foods and beverages that bring tastes together in delicious and new ways. We have tables by the fire, at the bar, and in season offer seating outdoors on the Fresh Salt Terrace. Awards include: - Best Brunch, Best Waterfront Dining, Best Seafood, and Best Hotel Dining from Connecticut Magazine, January 2016 - Named Upscale Restaurant of the Year by Connecticut Restaurant Association, December 2015
Reviewed 5 February 2018

The staff, ambience, and scenery are a little better than the food. We enjoy the drinks and have been on several occasions as it works well for parties and larger groups and everyone can find something on the menu. The raw bar is perfect. They do a nice Sunday brunch, however it is VERY expensive (30.00) without drinks, so would only recommend if you LOVE a lot of meat.
The desserts on the menu are exceptional.

1  Thank irish0live
SaybrookPTGM, General Manager at Fresh Salt, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

irish0live-

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to review Fresh Salt. It bring us joy as a restaurant that you enjoyed your repeated visits ordering various items across our menu and our friendly staff. Our raw bar is a featured part of our Sunday Brunch that many people find enjoyable while joining us over the weekend.

Again, thank you for writing such a glowing review of Fresh Salt and our Fresh Salt Team looks forward to welcoming you back!

john@saybrook.com

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Yes it was Saturday night and it was crowded, but the service was a tad slow. However, when you eat at a really nice restaurant like this, you do not want to be rushed. I wanted everything on the menu. I was a tad bit disappointed in their salad options. My husband had meatballs as an appetizer and scallops for his main. I had PEI mussels and short rib with polenta. The execution was there. It just lacked a little flavor umpft! Very nice server, and if you want to sit at the bar to eat, you are in the thick of things and generally don’t have to wait. Lemon Drop was excellent.

1  Thank Kay M
Reviewed 21 January 2018

Went with another couple for a 75th birthday party. Both women wore nice, sleeveless black dresses under our coats on that bitter night. Were seated under an AIR CONDITIONER and had to complain to the GENERAL MANAGER before the unit was turned off!
We had called 2 days before to confirm and to make sure that a certain promised server would be our waiter that night. When we were seated, a Darcy said she would be our server. We said we had asked for another person and was promised twice that he would be there. We were then told that this was the night for their annual holiday party and most of the staff, including our requested server, were at the party. No one had called to tell us this. No one had said this was the case when we confirmed two days before. We drove an hour+ to get there. Was this a SURPRISE holiday party???
I ordered the strip and it said on the menu that it was accompanied by pickled onions. When it arrived, there were no onions. Had to wait quite a while for Darcy to reappear and then requested the onions. She said, "well, where are they?" The room was dark, so I looked, but saw nothing that resembled onions. She said, "Well, I'll just bring you SOME MORE", with the implication that I either ate the onions and just was a pig and wanted more or that I am senile and I ate the onions and didn't remember. (The tablespoon of onions was very good.)
Darcy never came to see if we needed anything, or to refill our empty water glasses (we finally flagged another waiter down for water). It turns out that my VERY expensive strip was full of fat and gristle and had Darcy ever come back, I would have loved some steak sauce. I would have also told her that my sorry excuse for a twice baked potato was cold.
No one wished a happy birthday. The meal for the 4 of us topped $350. A rip off. DON'T GO THERE!!
Go to Olio in Groton. I went to Olio the next night with other friends AGAIN TO CELEBRATE. Our water glasses were CONSTANTLY being refilled. Our server, Steve, was pleasantly attentive. The menu was extremely impressive and the food we chose was EXCELLENT! The bill was less than HALF that at Fresh Salt. They even gave a small gift as a birthday present!

SaybrookPTGM, General Manager at Fresh Salt, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

I apologize that your birthday dinner was such a disappointment, we certainly did not provide the level of service and overall quality that we aspire to, so I share in your disappointment.

The specific details you mentioned will be followed up on, I can assure you. If you would care to contact me directly, I welcome a conversation with you at either 860-395-3081 or john@saybrook.com.

Thank you and again I apologize for the dinner experience.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

This is an attractive restaurant, with quite friendly service. However, on two visits, the service was very slow and on one visit the server delivered the wrong bottle of wine and steak with a sauce when the order was for none. Most recently, our server had a tendency to disappear for long periods. The wait for appetizers was close to an hour and for the meal approached three hours.

The food itself turned out to be mixed bag. The Oysters Rockefeller were excellent.
The scallops were well cooked but placed on unappealing raviolis with overwhelming number of flavors surrounding the dish. The lobster ravioli was also overwhelmed by a strong sauce.

SaybrookPTGM, General Manager at Fresh Salt, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

Thank you for your comments. I will check on the flavors of the scallop dish to see if we need to make any adjustments based on overall guest comments and I apologize that the service was slow; I will stress the importance of this in our staff meetings and with managers.

It is always helpful if I have specific dates, server name etc. to follow up on - if you care to share these you can email me at john@saybrook.com. Thank you.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

Our experience at Fresh Salt has been mixed, but the beautiful setting and views keep bringing us back. Unfortunately, our most recent dining experience was disappointing, from both a food and service perspective. The positives included a caprese salad with a variety of fresh tomato slices and the diver scallops, which were simply but well prepared. Less appetizing was the butternut squash soup, which was over-spiced and stung my throat. The expensive bone-in swordfish special was nearly inedible. It was excessively fatty and undercooked with a smoky flavor. Service was sub-par with a very lenghthy wait between appetizers and the entrees. Additionally, the server told us that the swordfish special was served with mushroom risotto and it came instead with pea risotto. As I don't eat peas, I wouldn't have ordered this dish had I known. Overall, will not return

2  Thank SandyKNA
SaybrookPointInnGM, General Manager at Fresh Salt, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to respond about your meal. A better recipe for the soup has been put in place and we have separated our Swordfish Chop offering into two size categories; the sizing of the Swordfish Chops proved to be a challenge as they are completely random. We are offering to butterfly the large ones now.

We just completed one of our ongoing service training sessions today with staff, and accuracy of descriptions was emphasized.

Thank you again for your input.

John A. Lombardo