“Great shepherd's pie pie!”

Sixpence Pie Company
Ranked #50 of 201 Restaurants in Southington
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Telephone 860-681-6118
Reviewed 4 June 2015

Meat pies are EXCELLENT! Love the shepherd's pie. Sweet pies are not good, so stay away from them. The crust is hard and not really good. But the meat pies are to die for!

Reviewed 23 March 2015

Food was good with an interesting backstory. I believe on some type of TV show now? The coolers looked a ittle bare it just must have been the time of day or something. Definitely more of a take out restaurant ..

1  Thank Dirk6460
Reviewed 23 March 2014

it is nice for a quick and healthy/wholesome take out . And some indulgence with the dessert! They have a great variety for all tastes

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We originally stopped in a few months ago to purchase a quiche, but they had sold out. The personable owner suggested we pre-order. This past Friday my wife called in an order for an eggplant, tomato, basil and pesto quiche, but was told that we could not pre-order when using a coupon. No big deal, but a bit confusing. On the day following I arrived just as the quiches' were being put out – there were only two kinds available so I chose a 7” broccoli and cheese. I also purchased 2 savory pastries – chicken cordon bleu and shephard's pie. We reheated the quiche for dinner that evening. The consistency was different than we have had elsewhere – more like scrambled eggs but smooth like a custard. The biggest problem other than the noticeably imperfect crust was the flavor – not much. The 2 savory pastries, including the accompanying gravies, were reheated for the following day's lunch and once again the flavor proved to be underwhelming.

2  Thank westie2
Reviewed 4 November 2013

TL;DR -- Literally the only complaint I have about this place is that it's not open 24/7 to cater to my need for their Little Piggy Pasty and Yardbird chicken pot pies. (And that's not even a complaint, since I wouldn't have those needs if I'd never been to this place to begin with.)

A weird thing happened to me sometime in the late summer of 2012. I was at the Hillstead Farmer's Market in Farmington, and I decided to try a pasty from what turned out to be the Sixpence booth. I was hungry, it was hot and delicious, and I went on my way, satisfied.

Or at least I thought I did.

Over time, the memory of that pasty began to creep into my thoughts (usually "what should we have for dinner?" thoughts) more and more frequently. The perfectly flaky crust -- how had they gotten it that delicious? -- surrounding a filling almost too rich for me to finish the whole thing was the perfect farmer's market food. It was the perfect price at $5 (their farmer's market price for 2012-13), and somehow it was both piping hot and easy to eat (no waiting for it to cool down, no fussy "blowing on it" stage). By the time the Hillstead opened back up in 2013 for the season, I was primed to eat every pasty I could get my hands on, just from the memory of the one I'd tried.

And I did. I took home at least 3 pasties for every trip to the Hillstead I made this summer, and they never disappointed. It turns out that the one I had in 2012 is actually my *least* favorite kind (the Little Boy Blue with chicken -- because of the inclusion of blue cheese, which I normally hate). I had the Little Piggy (stuffed with pulled pork and onion), the Sheperd's Pie (beef, potatoes, lots of delicious stuff), the chicken pot pie, the veggie curry (a favorite of the pie company owner, full of heavier veggies like potatoes with a nice milder curry flavor, and possibly one of the best farmer's market picks)...I tried as many as I could, and brought 'em home for dinners as well. I couldn't remember why I'd waited so long to try them a second time, and I often found myself at the Hillstead for the sole purpose of buying a favorite pasty.

It turns out I didn't have to wait until summer, and I shouldn't have. The Southington Sixpence Pie Company store is right in downtown Southington, and while parking directly in front of the store isn't always the easiest, Sixpence has a very hip but comfortable ambiance that coincides perfectly with what they're doing there, which is just making a whole bunch of delicious pies. The prices at the store are slightly higher (the pasties are $6 instead of $5), but that's in part because you get sauces with each pasty. (It's also par for the course with some more cosmopolitan areas, to have a bit of a surcharge for dining in.)

The barbeque sauce that comes with the Little Piggy is what put it firmly in the lead for my favorite pasty in 2013. Without it, the pasty is so stuffed with pulled pork that I could see how some might find it dry; with the sauce -- just for dipping the edge of your pasty in, not for smothering the outside and ruining the beautiful crust, which is the whole point of the pasty -- the whole thing becomes mouthwateringly delicious.

(In other words, if you think these meat pies are "dry," you're doing it wrong. It's not the pies...it's you.)

I haven't managed to try the sweet pies, because I can't get to dessert when I go to Sixpence. One pasty fills me up, and I usually take one or two home for the next few days' lunches, almost always including a little personal Yardbird, their chicken pot pie, which heats up flaky and delicious on top and moist and delicious inside. I enjoy the chicken pot pie all the more knowing that I'm not filling my body with the possible preservatives, the "chicken cubes," and the massive quantities of sodium that come in storebought frozen pot pies -- which accounts for the fact that these pot pies don't cost $1.

I've been in situations where spending $5 or $6 on a pasty just wasn't within my budget, and for that reason I'm grateful that Sixpence has run promotions like Groupon and Living Social...but as helpful as those coupons are, the meat pies I've tried have ALL been worth the full price. I can't think of a single other place in the area (other than perhaps Pho 501 in East Hartford) I've been to where I can pay $6 and leave a restaurant pleased with both how full I am and with the nutritional content of what I've just eaten.

I'm very glad I made the tiny, tiny leap from buying Sixpence pasties at farmer's markets to going directly to the source in Southington. Now instead of waiting three seasons for the Hillstead to re-open, I only have to suffer through Sundays and Mondays (when Sixpence is closed) pasty-less.