“Name Change but Food Remains Consistent”

El Sombrero Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #69 of 201 Restaurants in Southington
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2016

El Sombrero is not Eddie's Sombrero, but other than a name change, the location, menu, and majority of the staff seem the same. The drink menu and food options still offer variety. Drinks: APB (Acai/Pomegranate/Blueberry) Margarita, Hurricane Margarita (Wildberry and Mango Puree mixed with House Margarita). Simple, basic, pleasant. Chips and salsa for the table didn't last long. Entrees: 1. California Burrito Muy Grande ($15.95), with pulled pork, cheese, lettuce, olives, tomato, sour cream, guacamole, black beans, and rice. 2. Vegetarian Chimichanga ($14.50): stuffed with beans and topped with sour cream and guacamole. Though a vegetarian option, I expected this chimichanga to be filled with black beans, but it was filled with refried beans instead. It seemed like "a lot of fried food" on the plate, so I packed most of it up. We had the unfortunate luck to be seated in a booth that shook from the reverberations of adjacent patrons with large appetites and larger voices, so keep in mind that the booths are close together and you will feel every movement from neighboring diners. Luckily, they ate quickly and left just as quickly. Overall, the drinks and food were tasty and I would return to El/Eddie's Sombrero. I know what to expect and I appreciate this business still being here after all these years.

1  Thank radiowitch

Reviewed 17 March 2016 via mobile

Went for early dinner got the appetizer sampler it was good but for 13$ could have been a little more. Taco salad with shredded beef and fajitas where very good. Service was a bit slow but overall everything was good. The house margaritas seemed to have been pre made like in one of those slushy type machines, it was a bit strong! It was about 5pm Wed. when we went, it was very slow but looked like it was picking up when we were leaving.

Reviewed 1 February 2016

Having eaten true Mexican food, (or "Tex-Mex") I'm sorry, but this is "slop." Eddie (God rest his soul) was not Mexican, he was Puerto Rican. The food all tastes the same, and the "rolling" Mariachic's are more of a pain in the butt than anything else. Mexican food is SO easy to make. Look it up in the web, and you'll amaze yourself on how easy it is to make.

2  Thank Jim K
Reviewed 20 November 2015

Eddie Sombrero is what it is called now. I had Chicken Fajita was it was Delicious!!! I ended up getting more tortilla to take some home and it was delicious too as left overs. Very yummy!!

Reviewed 12 September 2015

My family and I have been eating at El Sombrero since they first opened. We were sad to hear of the passing of Eddie, but happy that the restaurant would remain open. However, after eating there the other night we realized how much it has changed. The salsa, which was our favorite of any restaurant, now tasted like canned tomato sauce with extra cilantro thrown in. The menu has expanded, which is nice, but the quality of the food just isn't the same. I ordered the tamale special, and all three varieties were dry, and the cheese on top of one was actually burned from being in the oven too long. My father had the Wet Burrito, which now doubled in size, but lacked the original flavor. Service is always excellent, I'm happy to report. I'm not sure if there are new chefs in the kitchen, but I miss the Sombrero of old.

1  Thank JacksBee