“SEAFOOD IS THE THING”
Review of Max's Oyster Bar

Max's Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Max's Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 201 Restaurants in West Hartford
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: South Main Street
Reviewed 11 July 2018

If you appreciate fresh, perfectly prepared, quality seafood, stop and enjoy a meal at Max's Oyster Bar in West Hartford, Connecticut. You'll be warmly welcomed by a professional and knowledgeable staff, willing to answer questions from oyster variety and choice of appropriate wine to navigating the town's ample public parking system.
This is a smart, popular and very well-run restaurant. We were seated at six on a Saturday evening, the restaurant alive and busy, the sidewalks of inviting West Hartford teeming. We were quite lucky to be seated without a reservation so your best bet is to plan ahead.
The quality of the wine list is excellent and fairly priced, by the glass or bottle, and includes specific selections for the extensive offering of shellfish. The beet salad was extremely good, big enough for two, and the Atlantic Halibut and Sea Scallops/Leek Risotto were great.
Max's offers limited but more than sufficient choices other than seafood but honestly, at Max's, seafood is the thing. The bill was entirely reasonable.
Our server did an excellent job, start to finish and our first visit to Max's at the end of May was memorable. We look forward to dining at this fine restaurant again, soon we hope.

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Excellent place for drinks or wine plus oysters. Great ambience and well decorated. A little pricey if you are looking to eat with family or if you are very hungry. Good for business meetings. Max is a good restaurant chain.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

Once you've had their Baltimore shrimp no other restaurants shrimp compares! The seafood is always fresh and flavorful. Great wine list and the atmosphere is similar to a bistro. I have been going to this restaurant since it opened..never had a less than delicsious experience. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 30 June 2018

I had given this restaurant a poor review after a negative experience a year or so ago, but wanted to return to give it another try- I was not disappointed! On a very busy Friday evening I knew enough to have made a reservation in advance, and upon my arrival the hostess could not have been more friendly and accommodating. Our server (Ron) was the consummate professional, attentive without ever hovering. Our food was perfectly prepared and delicious, and the entire experience much more in line with what I expected from this restaurant. I'll be returning very soon!

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

My wife, son and I went to Max’s Oyster Bar last night to celebrate my son’s birthday and had a very pleasant time. The service was a little slow, but good and the food was the star of the show. Our appetizers, entrees and dessert were fresh, well-prepared and very tasty! We consider Max Oyster to be the best seafood restaurant in the area. The reason for not giving 4 stars is the noise level. Large open wooded space with tables and booths crowded together...difficult to carry on a conversation or hear the wait staff.