“It's Shu to make you happy!”
Review of Shu Restaurant

Shu Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 186 Restaurants in West Hartford
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 5 January 2017

After a LONG, LONG time, central CT finally has a truly authentic Chinese restaurant worth going to. The food is spectacular, the service is stellar, and the ambiance is nice.

I waited to review this place until I ate there five times, because I wanted to make sure it was consistently amazing...believe me...it's consistently amazing! My family and I, along with several friends I've taken, have tried several different items on their large menu offering. There are a couple of items I probably wouldn't order again, not because they were bad, but because they just weren't quite my taste. Everything else is just beyond incredible!

After the third visit, I learned from the server that they can make almost any dish vegetarian-friendly, which was awesome given that we had two people in our party who don't eat meat or fish. Every server I've had has been incredibly friendly and very attentive.

Dishes I LOVE:
-Chicken Lo Mein
-Beef Lo Mein
-Hot & Sour Fish Soup

Dishes I thought were OK:
-Scallion Pancakes (a little oily for me, and not quite enough scallions)
-Mongolian Beef (a little too sweet for my taste)
-Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (a little too sweet for my taste)
-Lobster Sauteed in Dry Hot Chili Pepper (the flavor was delicious, but I didn't realize the whole lobster body was going to be served...I'm a wimp when it comes to cracking the legs and claws and all that. My brother-in-law who shared it with me, however, is not a wimp, so he did the dirty work and I got to enjoy the lobster!).

Reviewed 30 December 2016

We are NYC Chinatown food snobs so we are skeptical of eating Chinese anywhere else. Shu Restaurant hit the mark. It's located in a strip mall that has an Asian market and a Pho restaurant but don't let the location put you off, the food was really authentic, super fresh with various levels of spiciness. We enjoyed dumplings, cold sesame noodles, whole sea bass, sizzling beef, lo mein, sautéed green beans, eggplant with garlic sauce and a chicken dish recommended by the waiter, who was great. We'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

Authentic Chinese restaurant with really spicy foods. If an entree is marked spicy, it's spicy! We ordered a variety of entrees but I had the vegetable Lo Mein. Great portion size and taste for $9. Staff are very friendly. The restaurant is located in a shopping plaza with other Asian businesses including a grocery store and Vietnamese restaurant.

Reviewed 26 December 2016

My family celebrated Jewish Christmas at Shu Restaurant on the evening of December 24, 2016. This is a small Chinese restaurant located in a shopping center just off New Britain Avenue. The menu consists of a diversity of Asian entrees, appetizers, and soups at above average prices. Several items on the menu are labeled spicy, so one has to be careful in a selection if non spicy foods are desired.

We were glad we had reservations, as the restaurant was pretty much near capacity when we arrived around 6 PM. I ordered the Dao Ban Yu, which is a whole sea bass in a red soy bean sauce. My family also ordered seaweed tofu soup, hot and sour fish soup, lo mein, scallion pancake, lobster with scallion ginger, and chicken with hoisin sauce. The service was very good, as we received our food about 15 minutes after placing our order. My sea bass was very good, but it was a whole fish, so it was not deboned. There was a lot of red soy bean sauce on the fish, so it was very spicy. The scallion pancake was very good, although it was not the best pancake I've had. My family was particularly pleased with the lo mein, as it was very flavorful. Overall, we were very satisfied with our food. In summary, my family recommends this restaurant to anyone desiring Chinese food.

Reviewed 8 December 2016

The restaurant is located is a little shopping center next to an Asian supermarket. We had a great dinner experience last Thursday night. The seaweed H+S soup was excellent. The cold sesame noodles were delicious and both entrees were very nicely cooked. Spicy beef was tender and not like shoe leather (like some other places). Sautéed clams were cooked perfectly.
Food was not inexpensive, however.
Will definitely go again.