“Food was awful”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 February 2016

I went here after reading online about this bbq place advertised as "best bbq outside of Kansas City" as well as multiple write ups in newspapers and magazines. A groupon was offered online so bought and went. We sat at high top in bar area. Server who was also the Bartender was attentive and pleasant. We ordered the Mojo Shrimp and each got the combo plater, ribs + beef brisket. The Mojo Shrimp appetizer was flavorless and shrimp were super small, certainly not plump as advertised. We received our combo entries. The ribs were dry and were like chewing bark. Half of my friends ribs were inedible, just burnt skin and bones. The beef brisket was equally as bad, cold and old. We each got the mac n cheese as a side and they looked like they came from completely different restaurants. It was like they had these 2 entries sitting around for days and just heated up in microwave. We were both in shock with how terrible the food was after reading all alleged favorable reviews and instead of making a scene or confronting the poor server/bartender dropped a 20% tip and left. I heard this place is shutting down and re-opening in Norwalk. I cant wait not to go to the one in Norwalk as well. Your way better off getting a Mcrib at McDonalds. This was by far the worst food I have tasted in a so called restaurant in over 30 years. Bartender did make a good margarita though.

Aly G, Guest Relations Manager at Bobby Q's Barbeque & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2016

Hey Paul M, We’re sorry for the delay in response time, business has been wonderful and we have been very busy, but we wanted to make sure we responded to your review. We are very sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with us. We strive to provide only the best food, service and overall dining experience. We will look into the issues you've mentioned and utilize this response to improve our food and service wherever our business goes.

Reviewed 12 January 2016

Bobby Q's is a "rib joint" that one tends not to find anymore. The ribs are succulent, the onions are juicy and sweet, and the beer is cold.

In fact, this visit was most probably the one at which I received the BEST rack of baby-back ribs that I have eaten (outside KC). Too bad that they do not serve pecan pie anymore.

However, I visited because the announcement was recently made (early last week) that Bobby Q's is closing; I subsequently learned that it plans to relocate and reopen (in Norwalk). But, the service was thoroughly attentive, the food was great, sonf the crowd was lively; it will be sad to see it close.

I will be back many times (perhaps this weekend?) before Bobby Q's closes … I am certain that I will not be disappointed.

Aly G, Guest Relations Manager at Bobby Q's Barbeque & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2016

Hello,
thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review. We are indeed closing our current location and reopening in Norwalk! We hope that you will continue to dine with us at Bobby Q's. Despite the new location we will still have the same delicious food!

Reviewed 3 January 2016

I hadn't visited Bobby Qs for quite a few years, and felt like eating bbq. We visited early on a Saturday night and I got a combo platter with the award winning ribs which were fatty and the brisket which had a coarse texture and was dry. We also ordered a side of cornbread which was disappointing. Also if you order the Mac and cheese get the baked one the stove top one was like a package of Kraft Mac and cheese gone wrong, it had an unusual texture, which I'm mystified how they achieved. The cole slaw was fine. I guess either it's either my sense of taste or the absence of any decent bbq in the area, because when we left there was a line out the door! If you want excellent bbq, get I your car and drive to Sturbidge, Ma to BT's Smokehouse who has the best BBQ in New England.

1  Thank DandDNorwalk_CT
Aly G, Guest Relations Manager at Bobby Q's Barbeque & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2016

Hello,
thank you for reviewing your experience with us here at Bobby Q's. We're sorry to hear that we did not exceed your dining expectations. Unfortunately in this business it is impossible to please every guest that joins us. It seems as though you caught us on an off night. We encourage you to visit us again in the future so we can redeem ourselves and show you how wonderful Bobby Q's can be!

Reviewed 15 October 2015 via mobile

Barbecue ribs are very good. Also the pulled pork This is a kid friendly restaurant Downtown Westport Moderate prices also had takeout. It's not like down south But not bad for the East Coast

Aly G, Guest Relations Manager at Bobby Q's Barbeque & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2015

Thank you for your review and feedback Jessica! Glad you enjoyed your meal! Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 29 August 2015 via mobile

We ate lunch here on a Saturday. There were only two other tables other than us, but that didn't matter--it was a Saturday lunch. I had the ribs and sausage combo with the sides of coleslaw and beans and rice. First, the ribs still had the membrane on the bottom side. This may be their method, but even as an amateur smoker, I remove this prior to smoking. The sausage was partially charred, but tasty. The brisket was good, but a little fatty according to my wife. The sauces were good. Service was good, no complaints. I guess living in Texas and Memphis set out standards too high for BBQ in the NE.

Aly G, Guest Relations Manager at Bobby Q's Barbeque & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2015

Hi, Thank you for the feedback and your review. We are glad you enjoyed your overall meal and dining experience! If there is ever an issue with your food, please let your server know so the issue can be corrected immediately. We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.