Book now! This hotel is likely to sell out soon.
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Traveluro
Hotels.com
Orbitz.com
Travelocity
All reviews front desk pancake machine minute walk outdoor pool small fridge cinnamon rolls yogurt off season liquor store hotel room walgreens bethany beach towels brad clerk colony
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 August 2020 via mobile

Room was definitely not COVID cleaned. I brought my own supplies and the grime I cleaned up was gross.

Many staff without masks, no towels at times, and someone left their dog in the room next door for hours alone allowing Him to bark uncontrollably.

First time in Bethany and would never return to the Holiday Inn!

1  Thank rachael7183
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Bethany Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2020

Hello rachael7183,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with our hotel. I feel your frustrations about the room not being cleaned properly, staff not wearing masks and noise issues. The circumstances you have mentioned are not what I want you to experience with our property. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality facilities. Sorry that we fell below your expectations this time. Your feedback is very important and I will share the details with the hotel staff so we can make necessary changes to improve our facility. Your feedback will definitely help us towards bettering our services and we hope to host you again soon.

Best,

Ronald R.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 17 August 2020

Stay Report - 8/14 to 8/16

Location: The hotel is very well located for visiting Bethany Beach.  It's located between Pennsylvania Avenue and DE-1 (Coastal Highway).  Next door is a seafood restaurant, Walgreens, CVS and .4 miles away is a liquor store.  You can easily walk to the beach or the boardwalk and that combined with the free hotel parking makes it a perfect beach hotel.

Hotel: The hotel itself is an older property that was obviously converted to be a HIX.  It has a small lobby, small breakfast area, pantry area hidden over by the elevators, small indoor fitness center (currently closed), a heated outdoor pool (currently open) and a decent sized parking lot.  Again parking is free which is amazing.  Do note housekeeping is currently not daily.

Check In: The agent offered either Welcome Amenity points or "water and chips" as a Spire amenity.

Room: Standard HIX style room though older.  Two beds, couch, table and chairs, annoyingly no desk though and a decent sized bathroom.  Wifi worked well though the TV was really small and there were no outlets by the bed.

Breakfast: Currently the only offerings are grab and go.  Microwave breakfast sandwiches, cereal and milk, fruit, pastries and muffins.

This hotel is very expensive in the summer ($315 plus tax a night).  Its location and free parking are great.  Accommodations are good enough though I have to note none of the staff were friendly or helpful.  Everyone I dealt with at the front desk and the breakfast bar was indifferent and unfriendly.  That was disappointing.

3  Thank Sal_Paradise767
Reviewed 16 August 2020

Stayed here for our family visit. We arrived at noon with the hope to get early checkin, too our surprise when the receptionist said our room was ready! We stayed in their queen feature room which came equipped with a small fridge, coffee maker, plus a small counter and sink. Room also features a spacious bathroom, two sitting chairs, a small dining table, and a love seat (non pullout). Property was clean, well staffed, and the outdoor pool looked very inviting. The beach is a short five minute walk.

Date of stay: July 2020
Reviewed 10 August 2020 via mobile

I waited before writing this review. I wanted to be fair about our experience. I looked at the reviews for this hotel prior to our trip to get an idea of what our experience would be like during Covid-19. There weren’t many so I hope this helps others.

We arrived to the hotel for check-in. Unfortunately, the power was out. The front doors are automatic and so we could not get into the building. We circled the whole building trying to find an entrance. It was very frustrating. Not their fault that the power went out, but a staff member should have been outside to greet guests checking-in or they should have at least opened the door. Eventually, a guest let me into the side door after I explained my dilemma. One other guest was waiting to check-in inside, but no staff were at the front desk. They eventually reappeared once the power returned. Again, I think one person should have stayed out there to keep guests informed. Check-in went smoothly after this and the staff members were friendly.

We went to our room. We did use the elevator to get there and it was empty at the time. We decided to stick with the stairs for the rest of our stay because of the power issue and Covid-19. On the way to our room, immediately noticed that a housekeeper was not wearing her mask on her face as she was working on turning over the rooms. That was not reassuring. I get it......guests are not in the room so why bother, but isn’t the whole point of wearing the mask to keep your germs from spreading to others? So your cleaning the room, but then spreading your germs?

I guess I was expecting more Covid-19 precautions. I thought there would be a seal on our door or a sign that said, “Your room has been cleaned and Covid-19 precautions have been taken.” No seal, no sign. We opened the door. Again, absolutely not 1 sign that indicated that the room was cleaned in a special way. I expected the remote control (the dirtiest item in any hotel room) to be sealed in a plastic covering. It wasn’t. If you stay here, just be prepared with cleaning supplies. We went to work and cleaned the whole room top to bottom as best we could. Again, I really wanted to say nice things about this, but you need to know that the room was not cleaned properly. My paper towels came up brown on the desk area. My husband said the toilet had brown stuff in it. I saw food (possibly a potato chip or cracker) under the bathroom sink area. I told my son to be careful and not drop stuff under the bed. He pulled up the bed skirt only to find a toy shovel right under the bed.

Pros: This hotel is conveniently located close to the ocean and the boardwalk. You can walk from the hotel to either one with no problem. Also, there is a Walgreens, CVS and Dunkin’ right next to the hotel. There are numerous restaurants nearby. The staff at the hotel were friendly. We requested towels one time and they were delivered almost immediately.

Cons: The rooms really should be refurbished. There are not enough hooks for your bath towels. I would bring a folding clothing rack to help hang your beach towels. There is no balcony off of your room. It just wasn’t clean and therefore, I can’t imagine it was cleaned in any extra way for Covid-19.

I’m being honest with this review and have not exaggerated. I’m sorry Holiday Inn Express Bethany Beach. I’m not sure we will be back.

Date of stay: July 2020
2  Thank cruzan213
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Bethany Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2020

Hello cruzan213,

Thanks for the stay and for the comprehensive review. I am very sorry to learn about the inconveniences you had with check-in, the condition of the room and the lax observation of the health and safety protocols. I have taken note of your comments and shared them with management for review to take necessary actions to address these concerns.

On a lighter note, I am happy that our location worked for your travel needs and that you found our staff accommodating.

I hope you give us a chance to host you again in the future.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 8 August 2020 via mobile

Clean rooms with a short walk to the beach. Due to covid, they don’t offer the regular breakfast, which is a huge let down. They have grab and go, including cereal, pastries, fruit, granola bars, coffee/juice/water. We enjoyed some pizza and wine (liquor store right across the street!) on their makeshift outdoor seating in the back of the hotel.