“Classy”

Henlopen City Oyster House
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Love the food and atmosphere. Tasty good portions. Off season open for lunch too. Off busy boardwalk.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Very cool place. Had an hour wait but it was worth it. Very good draft selection - Except that more than half of the choices were from CA and not local, but still very good choices. We had clams casino and 8 oyster flight - one of each. Both were fantastic. Entrees we had soft shell crabs and lobster roll. 10 out of 10 for both dishes.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

My husband and I visited Rehoboth for a quick overnight trip in October, and on recommendation from friends, decided we had to try Henlopen City Oyster House. It was amazing!

Because it was off-season, we were able to get a seat very quickly -- after just 10 minutes of waiting. However, this place is very small (maybe 20 tables?) so during peak season, it would likely be very hard to get a table when we arrived at about 7:30pm.

When we sat down, there was a table with two screaming children under the age of 2 right beside us. From the looks on the nearby diners' faces, that table had been there for quite awhile. In just the 10 unfortunate minutes that we had to sit beside them, the children broke a ketchup bottle, spilled two glasses of water, and screamed, cried, tantrumed, and jumped on the bench seat. News flash to those parents: THIS IS NOT A RESTAURANT FOR CHILDREN. My husband and I have two small children, so I feel the pain of not being able to eat truly amazing food at great restaurants while we are out with them; however, I can't stress strongly enough that this is just not the right environment for kids: white cloth tablecloths + no kid menu + relaxed pace of service + late dining = not kid-friendly. Thankfully, those people left shortly after we sat down, and the rest of our meal was phenomenal. This situation was not the restaurant's fault, and we did not complain about it because we knew there wasn't much they could do about it; however, they comped all of our drinks for us! Well worth ten minutes of nightmarish dining, if you ask me.

Anyway, outside of that initial incident, the rest of the evening was literally perfect. First, our poor server -- the same one who had to clean up the above-mentioned broken ketchup bottle, two spilled glasses of water, and one huge mess of food that the kids had thrown all over everything -- was absolutely fantastic. He was easygoing, pleasant, attentive, and very knowledgeable about the menu.

My husband and I didn't know exactly what to order or how large the portions would be, so on our server's recommendation, we got a steamer pot luck with a mountain of steamed shrimp, clams, oysters, mussels, potatoes, and sausage. Not only was it enormous -- as in, enough to fully feed us two full meals -- but it was delicious, too. If you order this dish and want to actually eat it as an appetizer, you would probably need to share it with at least 3-4 people. Because we still wanted to try an actual entree, we decided to split a bouillabase -- a stew with red sauce, fish, scallops, shrimp, clams, and mussels. It was rich and delicious, and I highly recommend it.

Finally, we also ordered 2 drinks each. My husband tried 2 craft beers which he was thrilled with because they had, according to him, "high quality craft beer choices." I ordered a seasonal pumpkintini -- just as delightful as it sounds! -- and a Henlopen spiked punch, which was also good.

Overall: Absolutely go there! It is the best seafood and some of the best service we've had in Rehoboth. Just make sure to leave your kids at home!

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Very nice dinner. Very good service. Nice atmosphere. Had roasted beet salad delicious. Will go agai

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

While visiting Rehoboth, my goal was to have awesome seafood. Kyle was my server and he was fantastic! Friendly, attentive-- it was like he had no other tables . Upon arrival there was a wait but it went by pretty quickly. Just hang out in the bar. Clams casino are amazing!