“Awesome!”
Review of Makoto

Makoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Makoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Bal Harbour
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 96th St
Transit: 96th St and Collins Ave
Description: Stephen Starr's newest Japanese restaurant, Makoto is located in the prestigious Bal Harbour Shops. Makoto features a modern Japanese menu including sushi bar selections, modern Japanese dishes, and bincho charcoal robata. A hand-crafted beverage program focused on sake compliments the cuisine. The dining room and sushi bar seating are available by reservation. Outdoor seating is available upon arrival.
Reviewed 27 March 2015

Super fresh fish (with exotics). Unique Japanese fare (frozen diced Kobe beef in house-made fried rice!!!???!!!), great staff/team. Ramen and soba are delicious (though neither noodle is made in-house, and the soba sauce is a bit heavy). Great sake selection.

Reviewed 26 March 2015

My husband and I fell in love with japanese food (not necessarily sushi, but more izakaya) on our honeymoon in Hawaii. Now, every time we are traveling, we look for a new place for japanese food. I had read some reviews about Makoto, but seeing as we had made reservations at Nobu, my expectations weren't high. Even though Makoto has great reviews, Nobu had always had our hearts. Well, that changed.
Makoto was phenomenal. Firstly it is inside the most lavish of malls, filled with stores that are not exactly tangible for us, however it is always fabulous to look!
The service at Makoto was fantastic. We were greeted by the manager and he was the loveliest french man.
Now for the food.
We had learned that "rock shrimp" was divine while honeymooning in hawaii, but this rock shrimp was sublime. It comes with two different sauces, each one as heavenly as the other!
We had the short rib yaki noodles. Oustanding! the earthiness of the mushrooms mixed with the tenderness of the meat was beautiful. The fresh noodles were wonderful and the fresh salad onto made it a most balanced dish!
My husband had the ceviche (I am currently 8 months pregnant) and he raved about how it was fantastic. We also had the Robata skewers of wyagu meat. Also beautiful, we had to order it well done (pregnancy) so it didn't do it the justice it deserved.
We were so enamoured with our experience here, that we went back two days later!
We ordered the rock shrimp and the yaki noodles, but this time we ordered the miso chilean sea bass and it was orgasmic! We had had this dish prepared with alaskan black cod before, but the buttery texture of the sea bass was just unreal! My husband had the tuna pizza, and again, he raved about it!
The prices are totally reasonable too!
This is truly a foodie haven!

Reviewed 25 March 2015

Went to Makoto the first time and had a very good experience. We did have a reservation and could choose if we wanted to sit inside or outside. I like the setting very much and the food was really excellent. Our waitress was very friendly and we enjoyed our dinner.

Reviewed 21 March 2015

Always enjoying going to Makoto because the food is really good. I like sitting at the sushi counter to see all the action and get into the flow of the energy of the sushi counter. The sashimi, chirashi and makimono were very nice and even though it was busy the sushi staff knocked it out. I tried the cauliflower from the robata and I was surprised how good it was. We also tried out the fried rice in a stone bowl and enjoyed it. One point, please work on the service training. Great personalities but how to provide service with the guests in mind is not so easy to do. Keep working at it and I'll be back with friends soon!

Reviewed 21 March 2015

Even though it was crowded and we didn't have reservations we were seated after less than 10 minutes. The sushi's were Excellent, but the service was horrible. The waiter spilled soya sauce, on the table He didn't even apologize or anything...but the food was Great.