“Nice hotel on the water”

Plantation on Crystal River
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I stayed here earlier in the week with two other business colleagues. This is a nice older hotel right on the crystal river.

Not sure it is like this all the time, but check-in was very slow.

We each had a king room, mine was on the second floor with a view of the water. The bed was great and the room very clean. But as others mentioned the hotel has a damp, musty smell about it. All three of our rooms also had that smell, while not bad enough to go somewhere else, if I stay here again I will bring an air fresher.

They have a tiki bar and a nice pool over looking the water.

Overall not a bad stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor and a water view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed 14 October 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by by this hotel after reading some reviews which were somewhat negative about certain amenities here. Our room was clean and comfortableoverlooking an inlet of the river.
The tiki bar and pool area were great and the restaurant served good food. We also went swimming with the manatees from the dive shop on site. Our guide was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful and we managed to meet about a dozen manatees. Awesome experience!!

Room Tip: Ask for aroom overlooking the water
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beejay287
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Yes it is older, but it is clean, comfortable (recently updated), tiki bar, and on the water. Manatees abound, and great food very close by, if you want to venture a bit. Boat rentals or pool to pass the day. Let's face it, a 5 rating will set you back 250$ a night, but this place has a fantastic feeling!! Get to the clear water, and it is fantastic wildlife..... but be aware, the feds will write you a ticket for breathing wrong around the manatees. :(

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Let me start by pointing out that every employee we encountered at Plantation were extremely friendly and helpful. They went out of their way for us in every way.

Secondly, the hotel is beautiful and they've done a nice job of updating the rooms since our last visit.

But oh my gosh, my first floor room was the smelliest, dampest place I've ever slept. I ran the a/c constantly to try and minimize the moisture and odor but to my dismay, my clothes were damp as I packed them back into my suitcase.

There was a strong, musty odor that was so strong, it felt unhealthy to breathe. I didn't ask to move rooms as I spent very little time in it but I would imagine that the second floor rooms don't suffer from this problem. At least not to this degree.

I'd recommend some kind of room air freshener but that won't correct the excessive dampness throughout the room.

The problem was only made worse due to an inoperable bathroom fan. After a shower, the room was so damp, I felt like my own micro-climate would produce thunderstorms above the bed. Again, I could have called maintenance to have it fixed but didn't have the time since I was in and out of the room so quickly.

I was traveling on business and stayed in the room by myself but rest assured, if my wife had been with me, we would have changed rooms.

Don't let this issue prevent you from staying here, just be mindful of the issue and make sure you ask for an odor-free room that doesn't feel like you are sleeping in a tropical rain forest.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank nevis92
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This is my third stay in three years at this hotel which I would class as better than average, my main complaint is about the pool area. Particularly at the weekend, it seems that local residents are permitted free access to the pool facilities. My question is; why am I subsidising the locals. After all, I am paying for ALL the facilities here and they are paying nothing. The argument that they are buying food and drink at the bar is false since I saw several of them with their own supplies. The noise that their unruly children were making eventually drove me away from the facility, the hotel thus lost my custom at the bar, and I suspect that of several other hotel residents also.
On a slightly different note, the loud music played at the pool bar firstly seems to be the choice of the staff and the volume largely for their benefit.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family