“Charming stay”

Eddington House Inn
Reviewed 5 October 2017

A beautifully restored old home, with an inkeeper who is eager to please and who is really interested in the local history of the town. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was delicious and tailor made. North Bennington is close to everything and we were treated with care and kindness. We are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 September 2017

After the innkeeper Cathy Yager had accepted our reservation for Oct of this year we received and email (not a call) saying she had made a mistake and could not honor it and offered for us to stay the following day which was a SUNDAY. I had did an online reservation over a month ago and had not received a confirmation and had to call just a week ago to finally get a confirmation via email. To say the my family is disappointed and extremely is an understatement. We had stayed a few times here under the previous owner with no issues with reservation. Stay somewhere else where they honor their commitments.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Edhouse, Owner at Eddington House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Mr. Wittmershaus did not make a request for an October reservation “over a month ago”; his first request for the October 21st reservation was entered online on September 14, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. This is documented by the independent online reservations service that I use. I responded with a brief email confirming the reservation date as it appeared to be free on my calendar. I knew who he was because he (and his wife and daughter) had stayed at the Inn just 5 days before on September 9th; I was pleased that they enjoyed it and wanted to return. His very-first-ever contact with me was on September 7th, when he asked to stay on September 9th. I sent a quick email on September 20th confirming their reservation date and saying that the full confirmation would follow.
I did make a mistake: I had previously agreed orally with another family to reserve the room but was one day off as to the dates I had blocked off. When I received their formal reservation request on September 24th, it included the night that Mr. Wittmershaus asked for and I emailed him informing him, apologizing and asking if he would like to come on the next day.
Mr. Wittmershaus did not call and talk to me “about a week before” he posted his review. Our first (and only) telephone discussion occurred after he received my email on September 24th and demanded that I call him and I did. I started by telling him that I would arrange an alternative for the other party for October 21st so that he could stay in that room on that night. To my surprise that made him even angrier; he replied that he “knew what [I was] doing” (?) and that it “wouldn’t work”. He then provided me with a detailed list of all the skills required to conduct a business and informed me that as I am (congenitally?) unfit to do any of them, I am unfit to run a business. He finished by promising that he would do whatever it took to drive me out of business and gave a brief summary of how. He promised that this review would be just a start.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Lovely old house turned into a Inn. Double check your reservation though! The Inn Keeper moved our belongings, without our knowledge, to a different room while we were out for the day. We found out when we returned in to evening to get ready to go out for dinner. She gave the room we reserved to another couple who apparently also reserved the same room even though we were checked into the room first.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ckm484
Edhouse, Owner at Eddington House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

The Inn has one suite on the first floor and two on the second. The house was built somewhere between 1690 and 1710 and the staircase and stairs to the second floor are narrow by modern standards. Ckm484 reserved the suite on the first floor for two nights. When a guest with assistive devices arrived the following day was unable to negotiate the stairs, I tried to call Ckm484 and could not reach him. I left a message but did not receive a return call. I made the decision to switch rooms, assuming that an “upgrade” at no additional cost would be acceptable as long as it did not involve the need to move luggage. We very carefully moved ckm484’s belongings to the larger suite upstairs, arranged them exactly as they had them and, since he did not answer his phone, left a note with the key to the larger room. When he returned, he was very upset that we moved his things. He and his wife stayed that second night in the larger suite and he was pleasant and cheerful eating breakfast the following morning. Given his initial distress, I did not charge him anything for his stay.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

What a lovely and spacious home, very comfortable and clean, in a quiet little village center. We had a nice big room plus a separate slightly smaller but very cozy nice room for our teenager. Both rooms shared a very beautiful private bathroom, with gorgeous tub and nice shower, all very tidy and spacious and clean. Memory foam mattress was very nice on a cold night.

Downstairs, we had access to a modest living room and a huge open kitchen and breakfast area, with tea and coffee and delectable home-baked treats at all times of day and night. We were served an elegant and delicious breakfast before we (reluctantly) set off the next morning.

Room Tip: Suzie's Room and the Nook have a shared private bath, a great option for a couple traveling with...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2017

I had booked a New Years weekend getaway the first week of December online. I emailed the day before arrival to inquire about checkin time. I was emailed back by Cathy who simply stated "I did not have a reservation"...To my SHOCK. What followed was a long back and forth of emails with all the information I had and nothing came of it from Cathy.

Simply stated, after speaking with BedAndBreakfast.com, I learned that Cathy did not update her system, and instead of showing any care or concern, simply moved on and ignored me. I never heard anything further from her.

I cannot support a business where the owner cannot care and admit that a MAJOR mistake was made on their part, and does nothing about it. Luckily the website helped rebook us and we had an amazing stay at another local inn, but I cannot state enough how displeased I am from this experience and because of it I could not recommend doing business with this inn and Cathy.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank der27
Edhouse, Owner at Eddington House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2017

I am truly very sorry that you had such a distressing experience. I am also still somewhat baffled as to how it occurred. I had not made the room that you booked available through BedAndBreakfast.com for any dates in the month of December and do not understand how that resulted in unscheduled availability on the consumer-facing schedule. Nor had I received a booking request from BedAndBreakfast for the December dates and “confirmed” the reservation as represented by the email from them that you shared with me. I would gladly have helped you find a room at another B&B, but BedAndBreakfast instructed me that they would make the new arrangements.
I am nonetheless very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Bennington and hope you return to this beautiful and vibrant community many times.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Bennington
3.1 km away
The Harwood Hill
The Harwood Hill
#3 of 8 in Bennington

Been to Eddington House Inn? Share your experiences!