“Great place-Nice and quiet !”

Cheston House Gay Resort
Reviewed 21 September 2016

I have stayed in Ft Lauderdale many times, but this time, we decided to try a Gay Hotel, vs, the regular resorts. What a nice surprise. While yes, I find this hotel somewhat dated, it's kept up VERY nice. It's small, and quaint and we loved the rooms. It has a small fridge, microwave, which is nice, comfortable beds, fun décor, nothing super fancy but it was super comfortable. They have a continental B'fast, bagels/yogurt, etc...the pool area is of a good size...nice chairs outside our room if you want to sit outside. The staff was friendly, and I loved the location. Parking easy, close to everything...and it was off the busy A1A. Very private and exclusive. It is clothing optional should you choose. Would highly recommend this property, for the price, location and the rooms and the friendly people. I like this older style Florida property....can't wait to go back. Again, it's not a plush resort, but it's very well appointed and very very comfortable.

Room Tip: I only saw our room, which was a King Bedded room on the corner, first floor. Everything is close. I...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Seaguy48

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

My husband made reservations for a weekend dinner in Ft. Lauderdale and we decided to stay the weekend and hit the beach. We have stayed at several gay resorts in the area, but chose Cheston House sight-unseen due its proximity to the beach and reasonable prices for a last-minute booking. We were not disappointed. Let me start by saying that this is not a "luxury" resort, nor do they advertise themselves that way. The resort is more like a throwback to the 60's beach hotels of Ft. Lauderdale. There are only 26 guest rooms on 2 levels which makes it more intimate. The rooms have an classic vibe and they are impeccably clean. The bed is probably the most comfortable bed we have ever slept on! The room had a small fridge and microwave and a lot of closet space, a couple of chairs and small desk. It was large by room standards. The pool was large, clean and open 24-hours, which made for a nice late-night swim after a night out dancing in nearby Wilton Manors gay village. This resort is QUIET, which is exactly what we were looking for. The pool area is clothing-optional, which is not our thing, but was not tacky and cruisy. The guests there were discreet. We met Bobby of the Cheston House staff. He was a bubbly, fun host with a great personality and was a fantastic representative of the property. The grounds are tropical, well landscaped and private and very well maintained. If you are looking for a loud party-like atmosphere, there are other resorts in the area that provide that. If you are looking for a well maintained, clean, quiet and relaxing resort at very reasonable prices, check out the Cheston House Gay Resort!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TJSJupiter_Florida
Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

Very clean, very comfortable and very much worth the price. Not your typical hotel like room. MUCH much more comfortable and cleaner. Very spacious and a wonderful comfortable bed with lots of pillows. Compared to the other gay resorts in the neighborhood I feel a lot more safer here as well.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank OneManTravelor
Reviewed 15 February 2016 via mobile

The Cheston House is very much what you might expect. A small boutique hotel where the decor is dated and more apartment like than hotel room. The location is amazing, just a stroll down from the Hilton and the beach. We virtually walked everywhere.

The staff was truly pleasant with each interaction. Never a problem or an issue to be resolved. They were friendly and welcoming when we arrived and check in was quick and easy. They kept the grounds clean and neat. The foliage was beautiful and helped keep the courtyard cooler than out on the street. The pool was heated, which was perfect considering our winter visit warranted a need for a warmer pool. I wish there was a hot tub, but I got my 'heat on' in the hot shower.

We were in room 11, which has a kitchen, dinning room, family room, full bath and bedroom. The bed was comfortable. Lots of pillow options on the bed to get it 'just right' with a little goldilocks-style choosing. Everything was ultra clean, I should explain.

The buffet breakfast consists of options for bagels, a toaster, cream cheese spread, Cheerios and milk, orange juice, coffee or packaged muffins. Decent enough with everything considered.

The nearby restaurant options are plentiful. The beach front spots are awesome. People watching is the best I've seen. The food tastes fine (completely adequate for the price). We age at the Casa Del Mar and it was good - breakfast and dinner. Great Bloody Mary's there. For dinner I had the shrimp pesto pasta. I'd pass next time on that and do a salad instead. The Greek salad was a lot better that I saw.

Also ate twice at H2O and enjoyed it. Dinner was prime rib, which was nicely prepared. Only $20 for prime rib seemed like a bargain on the beach. We also had breakfast there this morning and the spinach and cheese omelet was yummy. The fruit plate was weak for $10. The servers were stellar though - friendly and helpful. The Bloody Mary here was a bit drab.

My price per night seemed high because I booked at the last minute on a big hotel booking site (last room left kind of message with the listing). But I was pleasantly surprised to see how big and spacious our room was. Definitely got my money's worth along those lines.

So Cheston is not updated and modern like the W or the Ritz Carlton, but the comfort of staying with 'friends' and 'family' is really nice. I recommend it to you. Be sure to chat up the others staying there. Folks seemed unpretentious and very friendly to visit with. As for us, we enjoyed our Valentine's Day stay quite nicely in our room and out about town.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Edward Q
Reviewed 6 January 2016

My partner and I just spent 5 perfect nights at the Cheston House from December 27 to January 1. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like family. Our hosts, Larry, Lawrence, and Chuck, were outstanding and were always available for questions, advice, restaurant and bar suggestions and directions.

The property is impeccable and welcoming. Rooms are contemporary, immaculate and larger than most. Breakfast was fresh, healthy and quite ample.
It has a charm and ambience that is unique and well suited to anyone looking for a sophisticated yet subtle place to unwind. It is the perfect combination of small and personalized, yet friendly and sociable....and it is centrally located. We have been there twice now and plan to return at the end of this year.
We met some wonderful people and wished we had stayed here longer. This is how a vacation should be.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor are quieter-we loved being on the first floor near the pool and tables.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank charles f
chestonmanager, General Manager at Cheston House Gay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2016

Thank you Charles for your beautifully written response. The best advertisement we could hope for. You captured the essence of what we do best. We look forward to your return visit to Cheston House. With Warm Regards, Chuck, Lawrence and Larry.