“Great place to rest, relax & unwind with the boys”

Cheston House Gay Resort
Reviewed 25 August 2017

The Cheston House is a gem amongst the high rise and overpriced hotels on Ft. Lauderdale Beach. You have access many local restaurants and beach within walking distance, and a short drive to Wilton Manors. The two-level resort-style motel echos from the 50s with charm and grace with its stylish staircase to the upper floor, and each room facing the pool area. The pool and the grounds are kept spotless and guests can feel free to be nude, if they choose, as there is a high wooden privacy fence and gardens that surround the premises. It's a great atmosphere for making casual or intimate friends.
I arrived late on a Thursday night, but my access was provided, my room key and instructions were left for me at the office. I reserved a room with a king bed and expected a standard motel room. I discovered that I was given a king suite with a sitting room, 2 TVs, a changing area, fridge, microwave and bath that had a shower big enough for two. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the linens were fresh and very clean, as was the entire suite. The AC provided much relief from the heat and humidity from the heat of August, and the ceiling fan was excellent too. I never ran out of clean towels for the bath or the pool/beach, as they had a separate supply for both.
Each morning I enjoyed a continental breakfast and was greeted by the manager. They were very friendly and helpful. They let me use the pool and shower after I checked out as I had a late flight Sunday. I want to return!
I suggested they add charging USB outlets, as their available outlets are sparse and have the WiFi available in the rooms in addition to the outside.
I recommend the Quarterdeck for a good sports bar that's not too far away, and the Red Cow for excellent BBQ.

Room Tip: You have to wear clothing on the second level, but not on the first.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Getting on their e-mail list snagged us a "sale" price, so we stayed a couple of nights on our way back from overseas. I'd never stayed here before, and was pleasantly surprised at how perfect the experience was. The room was well-appointed and attractive, the bed and pillows were comfy, the location is ideal and the amenities were "above and beyond."

I'll definitely keep this on my "short list" of accommodations in Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C B
Reviewed 15 February 2017

Having stayed at other similar resorts in other states/locations, overall I liked this place. The staff is very nice, the guests - while generally older/seniors - were friendly. The place is pretty clean except for what looks like some mildew buildup around the in wall A/C units in the room. The morning breakfast which is included was nice - simple & easy.

The pool was good and the grounds are really nice. What's unfortunate is that while the ground floor is "clothing optional", I think that at one point in time (many years ago) there weren't buildings that now have windows and balconies that look right into the pool area. If you're a bit of an exhibitionist (which I'm not) this may not be an issue, but having people staring in from other surrounding buildings made it uncomfortable for me so didn't get the chance to go "au natural" at the pool.

There's not a lot going on in the area and it's not too far to walk to the beach. If you're looking for a quiet older gay mens resort, I would say this place would be a good option - all things considered.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank ericlQ1861YL
Reviewed 4 January 2017

We made a last minute decision to visit Ft. Lauderdale for NYE 2016. Most of the hotels near the beach were fully booked by the time we made that decision. Cheston House was the only gay lodging option that was available when we looked. The property is located on N Birch Rd near all of the other gay resorts by the beach. The location is great for beach access. Parking is available (I think it was $10 a day). We stayed in the one-bedroom apartment. It was serviceable but rather dated. The rooms surround a medium sized pool. There is no hot tub. There is a very tall building across Viramar St. The occupants of that building appears to have a fully unobstructed view of the pool area...not cool. The place was supposedly fully booked during our stay, but we did not see that many people there, even during breakfast. Breakfast is OK, nothing to write home about. The staff onsite were very friendly.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank N_and_R
Reviewed 21 September 2016

I have stayed in Ft Lauderdale many times, but this time, we decided to try a Gay Hotel, vs, the regular resorts. What a nice surprise. While yes, I find this hotel somewhat dated, it's kept up VERY nice. It's small, and quaint and we loved the rooms. It has a small fridge, microwave, which is nice, comfortable beds, fun décor, nothing super fancy but it was super comfortable. They have a continental B'fast, bagels/yogurt, etc...the pool area is of a good size...nice chairs outside our room if you want to sit outside. The staff was friendly, and I loved the location. Parking easy, close to everything...and it was off the busy A1A. Very private and exclusive. It is clothing optional should you choose. Would highly recommend this property, for the price, location and the rooms and the friendly people. I like this older style Florida property....can't wait to go back. Again, it's not a plush resort, but it's very well appointed and very very comfortable.

Room Tip: I only saw our room, which was a King Bedded room on the corner, first floor. Everything is close. I...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple