“Good Pizza but AVOID during flu season!”

Downtown House of Pizza
Ranked #17 of 947 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery
Description: Serving pizza, slices, hot & cold subs, strombolis, calzones, salads, hot wings and cannolis.Bottled beverages and draft beer.Indoor and outdoor seatingOpen lateLunch specialsCoupons on our website
Reviewed 8 February 2018

Ok this one's going to be a bit on the longer side but I really want to give this place a fair assessment and believe people need to know about this.

To start with, the positive:

The pizza is fantastic! Probably the best in town and authentic NY style which is hard to find around here. Good sandwiches too although the desserts are way too sweet for my taste.
The location is great; the back area has picnic tables located in the pretty downtown courtyard where you can catch some live music on weekend nights.
Great value for the money. Hard to find a quick bite to eat downtown that doesn't break the bank and the service is good and speedy.

Now for the negative:
Normally, I would have given them 4 stars. I work downtown and used to stop in several times a week. But a few months ago I noticed the cashier was visibly ill (sweating profusely and coughing uncontrollably) and when I asked him what was wrong he told me he had the flu. Angered, I asked him why on earth he would come to work that sick, especially having to work around food and direct interaction with customers. He said he tried to go home but his boss wouldn't allow it! With the flu!!!
To me, that is absolutely unacceptable, ESPECIALLY in the restaurant industry. I have two small kids and this is one of the worst flu seasons on record. As a manager, you shouldn't even allow someone to work that sick. It's extremely irresponsible imo.
I had hoped that this may have been an isolated incident but every consecutive time I've been there, I saw someone else behind the counter, very obviously sick. Once a very short guy with dark hair and the next time a short girl. Each time I walked right back out. I'm sad to say, but they have lost my business. At least until flu season ends. Honestly, I'd happily wait a few extra minutes for my slice of pizza if they are understaffed due to illness than risk missing a week of work or having to worry and tend to my sick children.

2  Thank GlobalAndrea

Reviewed 7 February 2018

We stopped here during a recent downtown festival because all the restaurants had a 45 minute wait. This place was packed inside and had a line out the door, but the line went fairly quickly. You can order pizza by the slice or a whole pie. You can also watch them twirl the dough and make the pizza while you wait!

Reviewed 5 February 2018

If you like thin pizza, this is the place to go, although they do have a square Grandma's Italian pizza that is a little thicker. The best though is the Sicilian and ask for marinara on the side! You can order whole pizzas or pizza by the slice. Regardless, it is great and they have a patio out back with picnic tables and you can take the beer out there too - they have draft and bottles:) Cannoli is wonderful as well!

Reviewed 1 February 2018

I had to comply and follow that aroma...there was an all too familiar tempting smell Of Brooklyn, Bronx, Little Italy MY BIG APPLE HOMETOWN GEN-U-INE Italian Pizza in the air! At first I thought, was I hallucinating....has life become so hard that I've become delusional, I thought; am I imagining it is 15 years earlier and I was no longer residing in SW Florida where I've had to endure living in a REAL NYC PIZZA deprived environment. But I never heard of anyone's sense of smell working in a delusion. So I proceeded further into a store front nearby where I had parked my car. The aromas inside the store were even more irresistible.... All of a sudden I felt overcome and overwhelmed by an insatiable appetite for as many slices of pizza that had just emerged piping hot from the ovens... I settled for one slice to begin with (several to take home for starters)....handsomely served with such panache and charm by Rob D....(who is almost as irresistible as the pizza he was serving up)! IT DID NOT disappoint.... It was like being back home.... the moistness, (oh my goodness) how the flavor of the delectable sauce hit the crust and the cheese stretching contest as I took that first bite too amazingly indescribable to say more. Rob D...you served up a triumph.... you now have a new customer to add to the Downtown House of Pizza's ALWAYS RETURNING PATRONS! I live quite a distance away....but I shall make my weekly pilgrimage downtown to get my JUST LIKE NYC HOMETOWN PIZZA FIX!

Reviewed 23 January 2018

It is a very casual joint !! paper plates ,seat yourself , counter order then sit and enjoy your piece of pizza, don't forget to grab a really good cannoli after wards!