“Not a $109 hotel or room”

Gator Hotel and Suites
Gator Hotel and Suites
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed 26 November 2016

The room was very clean and attractive for the most part, with nice towels and coffee maker, quiet AC -- a huge improvement over the Days Inn rooms. However, very old desk (with a broken piece lying on the floor), dresser, and mini fridge that didn't cool well. There was no phone book, no blanket, no chain lock on the door and the nearest ice machine was out of order. Neither I nor the desk clerk could figure out how to work the bathtub stopper, so they did give me a little discount. Breakfast was fair.

Room Tip: The back side was very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
4  Thank coquina2

Reviewed 19 November 2016 via mobile

The hotel is being renovated, and by the looks of the lobby, it should be much nicer. The staff was friendly enough, but sticklers about cutting off the continental breakfast at 9am sharp. This is not a good deal for the price, but was probably more than usual since it was a game weekend. I would stay again, if it was a game weekend and the options were limited.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Jupitereyes
Reviewed 19 October 2016

Formerly a Days Inn ( evidenced by the DI sign simply being half-assed smudged over but you can still read it ), we drove by it 3 times trying to find it because their small pilon sign only has a temporary banner over the old DI sign and it was falling off. The lobby and breakfast area is extremely Spartan and sterile in appearance. The room we had was in Motel 6 motif so not very nice. Bed was just ok. If this is cheaper than everything else and your not picky...book it. Definitely a step up from the Motel 6 on Newberry Rd.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter here
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank Ed M
Reviewed 17 October 2016

In the hotel's defense, we stayed during Hurricane Matthew. But we paid full price and NEVER had any housekeeping. And I'm 90% sure we were given used sheets as they felt gritty and I found a toothpick in the bed! Altho we had a reservation, we had to wait until 5pm to get our room. While we waited 2 hours in the lobby where that morning's continental breakfast was located, no staff member even checked on the lobby area where cereal & bread etc was still on the tables & floor. We could tolerate the construction drills, but dirty sheets and zero housekeeping of our room for the entire 3 nights????? The problem is not the hotel...it was the staff training. I certainly DON'T require a friendly "bubbly" staff, but how about someone picking up the trash in the parking lot, on the stairs, in the lobby, and in my actual room?!!!!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pam C
Management response:Responded 18 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we value our guests opinions this gives us the opportunity to better serve our guests. I am truly sorry you were not please with your stay with us. Hurricane Matthew was a busy time for us, though this is no excuse for the experience you had and I will discuss the issues you mentioned above with my staff. We are currently renovating the hotel inside and out and hope that you consider us if you travel through Gainesville again. We would like the opportunity to make things right with you.

Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

I just stayed 2 nights and this place isn't quite ready for business. They are in the middle of a massive renovation and was like staying at a construction site. They have completely replaced all beds, pillows, linens, tv's, Air conditioners and swimming pool. I had no wifi during the stay and had to use my cellular Hotspot and burned up some data big time as the TV set top box was not activated with COX. The lobby is completely stripped and is being painted so the breakfast was unpleasant. Unfortunately I used an nonrefundable rate so I feel burned. Once the dust clears this should be a pretty decent economy motel but for the time being stay away.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Steve L
Management response:Responded 10 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your input with us, we are working hard to make the hotel more pleasurable for our guests. We value our guests opinions and hope that if you ever come through Gainesville you come see all the improvements we are working on.