“Great sushi etc”
Review of Monkitail

Monkitail
Reserve with OpenTable
Monkitail is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 615 Restaurants in Hollywood
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Description: Famed Chef & Restarauteur Michael Schulson's contemporary take on classic izakaya featuring shareable small plates, sushi, sake, specialty cockatils & NOKKU - a discreet cocktail lounge open Thursday - Saturday 9PM-2AM.
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

I have been several times and really great food and experience each time. Delicious fresh sushi. Great service. Beautiful restaurant. Cocktails bit too sweet for me. But food excellent. Creative menu. My favorites ...Pastrami bao buns, edamame dumplings, miso eggplant.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

We enjoyed an excellent dinner at Monkitail on Saturday night.

The food preparation was quite artful...and the service from our waiter, Carlos, was outstanding. If you need help with menu selection, Carlos will definitely point you in the right direction.

The dining room itself is beautiful. I'll warn you it's dark. (But I like dark.) Use the flashlight app on your phone to read the menu.

We shared the chef's tasting menu so we got to sample A variety of Japanese preparations and appreciate the talents of the kitchen staff. The Duck Bao Buns, lobster tails, and Skirt steak were especially super.

Other posters point out that Monkitail is "expensive." Everything is relative. This is an upscale restaurant in an upscale beach resort hotel. It's an elaborately designed dining room with top quality ingredients and service. Don't expect prices like at the neighborhood sushi shack.

Being locals, we've dined at all the major hotels in Boca, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and South Beach. In comparison, Monkitail is an EXCELLENT VALUE.....starting with the FREE valet parking (if you get your ticket stamped at the restaurant).

The 10-course tasting menu is a SUPER deal at $65 per person. You get to choose 10 top quality menu items plus a dessert. This is a better deal than most other tasting menus I've seen around here at comparable restaurants....for top quality ingredients and preparation in a special setting.

The wine list was also quite reasonable for THIS type of venue with many excellent selections between $50 and $80 a bottle. While this is still a lot of money, compare it to other SIMILAR resort hotels in this area where it's almost impossible to find a bottle for less than $100. We enjoyed an interesting Patz & Hall Pinot Noir that was $60-ish.

We also appreciated that the tables are nicely spaced...not like at a lot of other restaurants where you've barely got room to sit down.

All of these elements make Monkitail a casually elegant dining experience of top quality.

It's not quite Zuma. But Monkitail is a very respectable runner-up...a much better value...and we will definitely return...and always ask for Carlos.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

Tried this place because it was halfway between Miami (where I was staying) and Ft Lauderdale where a friend was staying. Was pleasantly surprised - nice environment, great bar team, Asian Tapas style which was delicious. A really nice evening and surprisingly good value,

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Fresh Sushi , good service( and for me reasonable price .) better than to going down to SoBe . Monkiail offers a nice selection of wine and international beers , jJapanesse beer and saki . .

Reviewed 13 October 2017

We walked into Monkitail and were greeted by the lovely hostess'. We were immediately escorted to our table. It was one of those awkward small tables with one seat on the couch and one chair. It was fine though, we are not picky, but I would have preferred a corner or booth seat as it was a date night and wanted to be close to my boyfriend. A different couple was seated next to us and actually complained, and they were moved to a corner booth.

I had already decided prior to coming in that we were going to have the tasting menu. What I did not realize is that anyone ordering the tasting menu has to have the same foods. You cannot order two separate tasting menus. We thought this would be tricky for us considering my boyfriend is a pescatarian, but our lovely server Joel was amazing in his recommendations.

Important to note **Our server did mention that the food will be brought out as it is prepared in the kitchen. AKA things will come out in scattered order. However, we did notice, the two biggest plates on the tasting menu came out last. These happened to be the two "entree" style selections**

1 - salmon nigiri (2 pieces) (I am very picky on salmon and this was wonderful)
2 - himachi jalapeño roll (4 pieces) (basic)
3 - crispy tuna rice cracker (THIS WAS AMAZING!) (2 pieces)
4 - crispy shrimp tacos (4 tacos) (ALSO AMAZING)
5 - skirt steak robotayaki skewer (2 skewers which is 4 big bites of steak)
6 - lobster tail robotayaki skewer (2 skewers which is 4 big bites of lobster)
7 - Edamame dumpling ( 4 dumplings, these were AMAZING! )
8 - side of black cod fried rice (huge chunks of cod, more than we expected, was very buttery and tasty. Big portion for two people, we had leftovers)
9 - broiled sea bass (giant piece, like entree size! very very delicious. We found this better than the miso salmon at Zuma)
10 - Aged NY Strip (GIANT portion for 2 people, especially after all of the previous courses. I had leftovers for the next day.)
Dessert - It was my birthday which I had mentioned earlier, our waiter Joel brought over flaming mini ice cream cones! The flavors were green apple and chocolate mint. The green apple was very unique and very tasty!

We had also ordered 3 glasses of wine with dinner. The bill came out to a little over $200 + tip. Definitely worth it for a lovely birthday dinner/ date night.

1  Thank Miamigirl1989