“Great Ambience, Food????”

Skipper's Dockside
Ranked #20 of 143 Restaurants in Key Largo
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

For years we have regularly stopped at another Key Largo restaurant en route to Key West. This time we decided to try something new, and rather arbitrarily selected Skippers, because the ambience sounded good. It was. Dining on the deck would have been a delightful experience, were it not for the negatives that quickly surfaced. We were seated promptly at a well-located table, given water, and apparently immediately forgotten by the serving staff. After about 15 minutes we actively approached a server and informed him that we really came in to eat (and drink), not just look at the view -- nice as it was. We eventually got menus, and I got the beer I had been looking forward to. I ordered a burger and my dining companion ordered fish and chips. The burger tasted great and was attractively served on a plank. I definitely recommend it. The review from across the table was less favorable. My companion declared the fish and chips to be the worst she ever had -- and she eats a lot of fish and chips. The fish was so heavily battered there was more breading than fish. Apparently the fish wasn't all that good once you got through the breading. I would like to go back to Skippers at least one more time, but I may have to go alone. I may have to drop my dining companion off at the Fish House, our regular dining spot, and move on to Skippers for another burger.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,511)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The scallops were good although not the best. The drinks were expensive and watered down. The location was the only thing we enjoyed. Many more restaurants close by that are much better.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Finally, a fun, dockside bar and restaurant that gets the kids' menu right! Grilled fish or chicken with rice and steamed vegetables were two delicious options for our daughter, as was a fresh berry bowl. Besides the good food options, there was also a fun, "beachy" area to relax with drinks and games for the kids while we waited for our table. The whole dining experience was good enough for us to go there two nights out of five in Key Largo.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I debated between a 3 and 4 star review. We dined here once and had take out once during our recent vacation. My kids enjoyed their Mac and Cheese and Cheeseburger Sliders. My husband loved his Blackened Mahi Sandwich. I ordered the Key Largo Platter and it was just ok for me. The Key Lime Pie was one of the better slices that I had all week. Our waitress was great but the kitchen was extremely slow both times. It does offer a nice view if you sit on the deck. There's also a little beach area to wait for your table.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

It was very nice sitting outside on the deck. Our food was good, I won’t say amazing, but good. I would go back, so that’s a plus in my book.