“Can't resist going here when we are in Key Largo”
Review of Mrs Mac's Kitchens

Mrs Mac's Kitchens
Ranked #19 of 147 Restaurants in Key Largo
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Description: EST. in 1976 a locals & visitors favorite with a Classic Key-Easy Atmosphere decorated with guests license plates from around the world. Home of the Key Lime Freeze, fresh local seafood, Cert. Angus Beef, fresh salads, gourmet omelets, World Famous Key Lime Pie, 25 wines by the glass and 25+ beers available, soft serve ice cream, outside seating & kids menu. Voted Best Home Town Cafe in Florida's Monthly Magazine & Winner of People's Choice for 20 yrs. running. Hope to see you soon & bring your friends!
Reviewed 10 July 2018

It really wasn't our plan to eat at Mrs. Macs II four times during our dive week in Key Largo in May, but that is how it worked out in the end. Its not that we are too simple or lazy to consider other restaurants, since there are so many good ones in Key Largo to consider, it just happened that way. So do we like Mrs. Macs II, yes, unreservedly, yes. Its just such an easy choice when some other place doesn't happen, for parking, being closed, over touristed or whatever.
We got to the Keys on a Sunday, Macs is closed that day, so we went to the Fish House (you can read about that less than perfect experience on TA too). We also tried to go to Hobo's, but the parking was impossible the two nights we tried. So back to good old reliable Mrs. Macs II. Now we have also been to Mrs. Macs original, a short distance further up the road on the way back to Miami, but frankly, the food is exactly the same; but the parking and inside dining space is just better at Mrs. Macs II.
So what do we like about it? No bad food, no bad service, no small portions, no funky attitudes from the wait staff. For the amount of food you get the price is very reasonable in the Keys.
First off, we love the FREE Key Lime freeze, you can get it right off, or save it for dessert, it serves two people, or one pig! Oink! Next we love the hogfish and yellow tail snapper in whatever preparation we have had there. Their salads are really beautiful, fresh dark greens, dark red tomatoes, and delicious. Their shrimp salad is excellent. Their fried shrimp and lobster bites are great. Their hogfish wraps noteworthy. Their potato waffle fries are awesome and abundant. Their coleslaw is good, their baked potatoes big. Their coffee is good, as is their blue cheese dressing (two marks of a good restaurant, in my opinion).
Seems like we just are magnetically drawn to Mrs. Macs II now when we go to the Keys. I recall that in my first review of Mrs. Macs II I pointed out the the fish seemed almost non-existent in my mahi mahi sandwich. I can only say this must have been a rare oversight on their part, and I guess I should have complained at the time. I think they would have set it right if the waitress had known. They have definitely not shortchanged us in any way on subsequent visits. And the Key Lime pie here is excellent too. My wife got a piece to eat the next day back at the hotel. However she made the mistake of tasting it when we got back to the hotel, and then having me taste it too. It did not make it to the next day. The only thing I've had at Mrs. Macs that I wasn't impressed with was the manhattan conch chowder, but it was the wife's anyway, and she liked it.
One note here, on our Key Lime comparison testing on a previous vacation we tried Fish House, Mrs. Macs II, and Hobo's, and the Key Largo Chocolate factory. I rated the Fish House best overall (appearance and taste), Mrs. Macs II second (appearance a bit less, taste about equal), Hobo's (first in presentation). The wife liked the Mrs. Macs slightly better than the Fish House for taste and texture. The truth is, they all (including the Key Largo Chocolate factory) tasted great, so its a hard call. I have included here pics of the Key Lime pie slices with the particular restaurant named for visual comparison; sorry, didn't get a pic of the KLCF before the wife consumed it. One other note here: The wife tried the Key Lime pie in a bottle at Hobo's on another trip, she said the regular Key Lime pie slice there was far better.
This time at Mrs Macs we also noticed they have a tiny nick nack closet at the SW corner near the bar, shot glasses and other souvenirs of the place. I should note too that the bathrooms are clean, and decorated with undersea critter paintings, which appeals to the divers among us.
Anyway, if you can't decide which restaurant to go to, or can't get in to the one on the plan agenda, just go to Mrs. Mac's II. You can get a coupon for the free Key Lime Freeze on their website. And no, I do not work for Mrs. Mac's, I just love their restaurant, its a no brainer. Hopefully, they will not get lazy after this review and make me look bad. Try it for yourself and decide, particularly if the planned 'other' restaurant doesn't pan out. And if you are passing through Key Largo and only have time for one restaurant, this is the one I would hit.

Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

We always stop here on our way into or out of the Keys for a meal and the best key lime pie! We had a friendly, knowledgeable waitress who made our visit lovely! We had mahi sandwiches and a shrimp basket and everything was delicious! But, the real reason we go is the key lime pie!!!!

Reviewed 1 July 2018

We stopped by just for a slice of pie. It was more expensive than we expected (a whole pie was a far better deal!), and expect it to be more sweet than tart, but it was very tasty. We later got a recipe and make it to our own taste, which is less cheesecake-like than Mrs. Mac's Kitchen.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Lunch is more reasonably priced than dinner so we chose to do lunch here. Service is top notch. Management is awesome and friendly as well. Very clean. Air condition worked great. The fish, chip and waffle fries basket is a must have! If you get the philly cheese steak sandwich ask for waffle fries for your side. Don't do the regular fries as they are not very good. Be sure to save room for key lime pie. The key lime pie was heavenly and very refreshing.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

Visited Mrs Mac's Kitchen for the first time today.
As with all new places, there is some apprehension about what we will find. Relax, as soon as you walk in you are greeted with a friendly host, keen to impress and not just making you yet another number.
Having been given choice of seating, arriving at our table was Kimberly. We were asked if we wanted to know the specials and with no err, think or pause, we knew what was on offer.
The meal was chosen and delivered with perfection, honesty and reliability. She was attentive and with a sense of humour, made the whole experience a pleasure.
Oh, and dinner was, with no question or doubt, perfect, well presented and cooked to perfection.
Would highly recommend Mrs Mac's Kitchen. The menu was explicit, originally put together and in an atmosphere engaging good company.
Oh and Kimberley? Her passion for the task was exemplary and quite infectious to the extent that you would, other than the proverbial accident of Geography, be a regular visitor. God bless and thank you for making our evening very special.