“Marquesa delivers”

Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Waupaca, WI
“Marquesa delivers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2007

This was my second trip to Marquesa--i gave it good reviews last year. This was my first time visiting during the peak season. The rate was 450 plus tax for a Jr. Suite. It was great room and amenities are good. They now have flat screen TVs. Internet service is free but spotty in rooms, excellent by the pool. There was a wine reception on Sat evening for the guests--a nice touch. Guests are different when its the high season. It's an older crowd and less diverse. It was spring break and quite a few teens were there with parents. I must say I was initially concerned, but they were all excellent guests and well behaved. A number of guests got complimentary upgrades to suites while I was there. While this is usual hotel practice, in a small property, I wish the staff was more discrete about it. I had fronted the money up front and received no special upgrade other than a check in bottle of Fiji water.

The only other thing that bothered me was the snootiness of the front office staff. This is key west, land of the casual--attitude belongs on the mainland. When we checked out, we stayed a few hours in the lobby of the hotel until our flight. The owner came out of the office and asked if we needed help. We told hime we just checked out and were waiting to go to the airport. He shrugged his shoulders and left irritated we were sitting there. Now mind you, we spend 6 nights there and 3000 dollars in his hotel. A thank you and "I hope you enjoyed your stay" would have been more appropriate, Not all staff slung attitude. Housekeeping and grounds personel were lovely and very helpful.

Overall, this is an excellent hotel and i'd stay here again. Most of my concerns were minor--but at 500 a night I left with a slight sour taste in my mouth.

Stayed March 2007
7 Thank WaupacaTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
wine country California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2007

With so many already positive reviews, I just have to ad that they go out of the way for special requests! This is a great model for anyone in the hospitality business. I have worked for the Disney Co, and they do a top job, I have seen pretty bad places to great places, and this is one of the ones I rate other by. Even I , and I am tough to please enjoy this property!

• Liked — class and service
  • Disliked — step to some of the rooms
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank hansutro
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2007

My wife and I do not impress very easily but feel compelled to share our experience at the Marquesa Hotel in Key West, Fl. Upon arrival, we were shown to our beautiful room, which had no view and was somewhat noisy due to motorcycles passing on the street. We asked whether another room was available and we were pleasantly surprised to learn that a junior suite at poolside had just become available. We were more pleasantly surprised when told that we could have this much more expensive room for the same lower price as the first one. Our luggage was transferred by the hotel staff within minutes, without our having to go back to the original room on the upper floor, to supervise.
The junior suite was large, spacious and beautifully appointed. IThe bathroom was large with 2 sinks and a table, in addition to a tub and shower. The porch had 2 large comfortable chairs as well as a table and chairs for breakfast. We chose what we wanted for beakfast and indicated the time at 8:15 a.m. The following morning the breakfast arrived exactly as ordered at precisely 8:15 a.m. on beautiful dishes,cloth napkins,etc.
The hotel does not permit cellphones in the common areas, including poolside. The hotel does not permit children under the age of fourteen. What a pleasure!
Key West is a lively, noisy place with one main street. The Marquesa Hotel is situated a few hundred yards from the main drag, but you would never know it because of the lush gardens, two pools, luxurious towels neatly rolled and the tranquility everywhere on the property.
The pleasant, courteous staff effortlessly do everything to make sure that the guests thoroughly enjoy their stay. The Marquesa Hotel advertises that it is a leading small hotel. The advertisement is far too modest. We would rate the hotel, its amenities and staff at 10 out of 10.
Gordon and Anne

• Liked — quality of room,service, amenities,surroundings---sophisticated and luxurious
  • Disliked — we liked everything
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anne K
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2007

Four of us moms stayed at the Marquesa for a long over-due girl's weekend getaway. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The hotel is beautiful with two pools to choose from - and ice tea and water by the pool. It is in a great location within walking distance to Duval and other Old Town attractions. The hotel was quite and relaxing. Our room overlooked Simonton Street with a wonderful private balcony. The beds were also very comfortable.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends