“My 4th stay in the past year....”
Review of New Orleans House

New Orleans House
Ranked #52 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This trip I stayed a full month, and as usual, had a great time. The property is always clean and very well maintained (which makes me question one of the other reviews.) Each of my stays at New Orleans House, is for 2 to 5 weeks and I always find the entire property clean, with sparking clear water in the pool.
The latest improvements since my November stay are new flat screen TV's in all of the rooms, as well as in the bar. Nice touch! The entire guesthouse and bar staff are fun to be around and make the New Orleans House guests feel at home from the minute they arrive.
Hazel's grill serves quality food in the Garden Bar, and the Saturday afternoon Pool Party, hosted by TJ, is always a great time.
I can't wait for my next trip to Key West, and another fun stay at the New Orleans House, in June for Pride!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Craig H

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Staff is wonderful (especially Neil), the entire facility is clean and it is in a great location in old town surrounded by lots of great places to eat and fun night time entertainment. I highly recommend this guest house!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Checked in was taking the tour of the green pool. Hot tub that did not work, patio with dirt and leaves everywhere total mess. The bathroom in our room was GROSS!!! Just and overal dirty place. :-( spent way to much for such a disappointing place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Tripentrip
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

I'm very sorry you felt your stay was not to your expectations. We strive to provide all of our guests with a delightful time and if we failed deliver, I wish you would have brought that to my attention to address your issues.

First, I would like to address the "green" pool. Our pool has never been green. We follow all State of Florida regulations with pool maintenance and we have always passed our inspections. We use an auto-chlorinating system that adds chlorine throughout the day and night to ensure that the water is sanitary and safe at all times. If for some reason, we had a catastrophic pump failure, I would use our backup drain pump to drain the pool and take it out of service before I would let anyone swim in an unsanitary pool.

Now, what you may have been referring to is the moss that grows around our waterfall. Our waterfall is a unique feature but it does cause some moss growing (as you would find around a natural waterfall.) We do clean off the moss once a month. This does not affect the pool of the cleanliness of the water at all.

As for the hot tub not working, the only thing that was not working were the jets and they were not working for two days. The downside to being on an island is that many parts need to be shipped in. We paid extra to have the part shipped overnight but the hot tub was still down for the day it was discovered and most of the day it was repaired. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

As for the yard, we have a glorious (and protected) avocado tree that dominates most of the garden bar area and this tree is in its blossom phase where it drops blossoms by the thousands onto the brick area as well as into the pool. We sweep the area and skim the pool twice a day but it's impossible to keep the area completely clear. Fortunately, this only lasts about a month and then we'll start to have fresh avocados growing again.

Your final comment concerns me. We take great pride in our rooms and if you felt it was not up to your standards, I wish you had brought that to our attention immediately so we could have addressed it. I personally inspect rooms and if it was something I had missed, I would have appreciated the opportunity to learn from that.

As you can see from our reviews for the past year, people have been extremely pleased with the conditions of the hotel and I hope that you will consider staying with us again to give us the opportunity to prove to you that we really do want our guests to have the best experience possible while staying with us.

Thank you for staying with us.

Neil Chamberlain
Guest House Manager

Reviewed 7 February 2012

My partner and I stayed at New Orleans House for New Years 2011. What a blast!! We are in our mid-30s and love to dance so we got a room right next to the hot tub where you could hear the music most of the evening. As mentioned in a couple other reviews, this is the place to be for ringing in the New Year. Most people have to pay $100 just to get on the balcony, but by staying on property, it is included in the room price. And what a great party. Joey, the owner, and all of his staff made sure that we felt included in all the festivities for the holiday. Each day, the garden bar had good drinks and fun people to talk to. The pool area is men only and is clothing optional. My partner and I enjoy "taking our option" and felt completely comfortable doing so. The pool was a bit chilly, but the hot tub certainly made up for it. There is a grill serving up a great lunch for not much money. There is even a deck away from the pool if you would like to take full advantage of the sun. At night you will find that New Orleans House is right in the middle of everything. There are tons of restaurants and bars right along the street. Whether you want a drag show, leather bar, or dance club, they are all within a short walk. The music does play in the adjoining club until about 4am, so if you are wanting to get to sleep early, make sure to let the manager know to put you a bit further away from the pool. My partner and I have been to a few other guesthouses on the island and find this to be one of our favorites. It is less cruisy than Island House and not stuffy like some of the others. But believe me, there is plenty of "energy" here though, if that is what you are looking for. The staff was amazing, the other guests were awesome, and overall, the stay was one of the best... so we had to book it again for next year!! Thanks to everyone at New Orleans House.

Room Tip: Just tell Neil, the front desk manager what kind of a stay you are looking for: late night dance, qu...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Matt B
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed at NOH over New Years 2011-2012. An amazing non-stop party. Joey, the owner knows how to treat his guests to a very memorable experience. As a guest over the New Year holiday you get to have access to the balcony for the Drag Queen Drop. New York's ball drop has nothing on this event. Sushi the drag queen descends in a giant red stiletto (a-la-Priscilla Queen of the Desert style). So, the party is great, but the staff and rooms are incredible. Everyone we met at New Orleans House, from Neil at the front desk to Kirk at the adjoining Bourbon Street Pub were extremely friendly and went out of their way to make our stay awesome. Thank you. We've already booked for New Years 2012-2013.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends