“Not perfect but...perfect!”
other traveller has booked this property

Review of 132 Columbus Drive

Couch
Living Room
Kitchen & Living
Master Bedroom
Walk-in closet & bathrooom in master
Master bath
Master room view
Guest bedroom
Guest bathroom
Back porch
Back Porch
Ocean View
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Alachua, Florida
“Not perfect but...perfect!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014 for a stay in December 2013
person found this review helpful

Location, location, location; this home was a great getaway, and beautifully landscaped (but not manicured) with older Australian pines, sea grape, palms and silver buttonwood, etc; it felt secluded and private even though other beach homes were nearby. It was windy during our stay, but nice to have that open ocean view, so close to the beach the balcony felt like a pier at high tide. We watched sailboats and even para-surfers(Kite-surfers?) take advantage of the wind and fly by on the sparkling water. One of them saw me on the beach with a camera and came very close in to do flips and jumps and turns - show off!

I believe the chairs on the balcony have been replaced with new ones; they were not the same as pictured, and quite comfortable, with a table large enough for outdoor meals. The hot tub was wonderful, and everything was in working order, including the WiFi and A/C. It is an older, perhaps quirky, house - and could use upgrades in the kitchen and bathrooms, but again, it had all the amenities we needed; we had a few questions that were promptly addressed at no inconvenience to us. The main island of Islamorada (Upper Matecumbe) was only a five minute drive, and the Hungry Tarpon/Robbie's is closer. We had views of Indian Key and Alligator Lighthouse from our living room; incredible sunrises, and even decent sunsets, as the angle of the sun at that time of year reflected on the clouds over the ocean.

More sandy beach would be nice, but it isn't really common in the Keys; I recall a lot of sand being trucked in at major resorts there back in the 60s and 70s; Anne's Beach near Caloosa Cove is the only remaining public sandy beach at the south end of the key. Still, we saw many species of birds on the flats in front of the house; ibis, egrets, sandpipers, pelicans, ospreys, and more, plus fish and rays and, well, everything you'd expect - I even found a big stone crab in it's lair while wading (I left it alone) at low tide. I grew up in Islamorada, and it was a treat to feel so at home and comfortable there - we may never stay in a hotel again!

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Hallandale FL
Reviewed 15 August 2013 for a stay in May 2013

Older travelers
Montreal
Reviewed 9 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

Rugged travelers
Oklahoma City
Reviewed 8 April 2013 for a stay in February 2013

A romantic getaway Older travelers
CA
Reviewed 10 November 2012 for a stay in August 2012

Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing