“Not the greatest nor the worst place I have stayed at in the Keys.”
Review of Yellowtail Inn

Yellowtail Inn
Ranked #13 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 November 2016

We spent 3 nights recently over Thanksgiving Weekend. Since this was a last minute decision we found this place about 3 weeks before Thanksgiving since the usual place we stayed at was booked. The place could really be an outstanding location if the owner reinvested some of the money into the property.

If you are looking for a Marriott or Hyatt then this is not for you. The hotel is located on the oceanside of Grassy Key and has magnificant views of the surrounding waters of the Atlantic. Unfortunately it is a bit run down and has very little in the way of ammenities like beach chairs or tables except at the rooms and those are cheap plastic chairs that are uncomforatble and old. I suggest you bring your own beach chairs. The place is also pet friendly but for the most part pet owner ignorant. There were piles of dog crap around the property as they have no landscaping management what so ever to care for the property. We don't spend much time in the room when we are in the Keys so it was not as important to us but each of the rooms are in desparate need of updating and general maintenace. Otherwise it was clean and the housekeeping and treatment by staff was excellent.

If you are looking for a last minute place to stay I would say Yellowtail will do but if you are looking for more on your vacation other than great scenery and quite relaxation stay elsewhere.

Finally, this property is also associated with Casa Del Sol and Bonefish motel. Bonefish looks like it is a stay away at all costs as it looks nasty. Casa Del Sol is slightly better than Yellowtail but remember, the 3 properties are owned by the same person so don't expect anything better than I described above.

Room Tip: Room 105 is an oceanfront cottage where we stayed. Looks like one of the best on the property for s...
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 November 2016

THEY STOLE $661.51 FROM ME! I have been trying to get it back forever. I booked well in advance but cancelled a week later. They gave me a cancellation number but they never returned my money. I called and talked to two different people and they said I had cancelled and were not sure why I did not get my money back. I wrote emails and never heard back. I called again and was told the same story. I sent a certified letter and they never answered. These people are lowlifes. Only terrible people do things like this. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE. I gave them numerous chances to do the right thing.

Room Tip: Don't go here.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank clarkebar99
Reviewed 8 July 2016

terrible place . ".the so call resort" needs improvements ... old, dirty, don't stay here , and for the price ridiculous take time and read everyone's reviews not worth it, such a disappointment , the beach area have no lounge area where you can relax , just one hammock.. not a resort ... so don't waste your money on false advertisement

Stayed: July 2016
Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

Disappointed that I spent over $600 for the week. All the pictures must have been years ago, very dirty and unkempt. The maid did not change our bedding the whole time we were there. If your expecting a pool... There is no pool to swim in, it appears that it has been empty with yellow tape on it for years. The manager will tell you to go next door to another pool on a property they own.
You cannot enjoy the water, as there is tons of grass so when the tide changes it smells bad. So bad it's hard to deal with at night as our cottage was close to the water. Roaches and bugs inside the room. Just do your research before you choose a place, I was ready to go home days before our vacation was over and we did not spend any time in the room just to sleep. Horrible.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lisa s
Reviewed 15 June 2016 via mobile

If you want a 5 star luxury resort, then go to the famous named ones down the road. If you want to capture the essence of old Florida Keys then take a step back in time in this sweet, very clean and very quaint little jewel of an inn! I visited my great grandparents all through my childhood in the 60s and 70s in Big Pine Key and compared to the little fishing shanty they lived in, this is true luxury at its best. Sure it's outdated but it was built in the 50s and we didn't come here for the decor. There will be grass growing in the water here hence the name Grassy Key. If you want a beach with rolling tide - plenty of that in the panhandle all the way down the Peninsula. The island lies east to west and is more on a sound that the open ocean. Natural beauty and not combed beaches is the scene here! Bugs? Since we are on the 2nd floor, they haven't been a problem but if you stay in one of the adorable ground level cottages, then you may see a few. For the love of God folks you are in FLORIDA and there will be bugs regardless of the number of stars or cleanliness !! There are plenty of geckos and iguanas to take care of them but rest assured that they have monthly extermination and I actually saw the Orkin guys here with my own eyes but didn't have my phone to take a pic - you just have to take my word for it. Always remember that if you do see dead bugs along the baseboards that the issue is being addressed!! Who cares about the size of the pool - do you come to the Keys to swim in a pool? If so, there is a sizeable pool at the sister resort next door. The view of the Atlantic sound is worth multimillions well as a very friendly and courteous staff are very welcoming but do not get into your business. Location Location Location! You can't get more central than this! Go back to a simpler place and time by checking into the Yellowtail Inn.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank ajn717
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
16.2 km away
14.1 km away
Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
7.5 km away
BayView Inn Motel and Marina

Been to Yellowtail Inn? Share your experiences!