“Very Worthwhile Hike”

Tiger Creek Preserve
Ranked #17 of 34 things to do in Lake Wales
Reviewed 10 February 2018

I went in January, 2018. Trails are part of an ancient dune system stretching in a north/south line in central Florida. There is quite a bit of elevation change and winding paths so the walk is not boring. There are deer, bald eagles, scrub jays and lots of other critters. Bring water as it was pushing 75 degrees when I went and I got pretty thirsty.

All reviews
"park"
in 3 reviews
"plants"

Reviewed 25 March 2017

Overall, this is about a 12 miles hike. The terrain is white sand so microspikes might make it easier to traverse. We only did the Creek Bluff Loop and was very enjoyable. While this is listed under Lake Wales, the western entrance is in Babson Park and the eastern entrance is closer to Frostproof. Go early if you intend to do other loops and take advantage of the cool mornings. Because we stopped a few times to take pictures and some people walk slower it took about 1.5 hour. This is the only loop that meanders through sections of Tiger Creek with its beautiful vistas and vegetation. There are blazes indicating the route and interesting spots. Some plants were blooming. The color of this loop is pink and is about 2.5 miles.

1  Thank Raymond Z
Reviewed 1 March 2017

I have only walked the Creek Bluffs Trail of this preserve, but was impressed with some of the views. The trail was 'blazed' with some additional signs at certain locations. However, I would encourage the visitor to pay close attention to the twists and turns in the trail nonetheless because there are a number of criss-crossing trails which can confuse. Expect to take substantially more time on this wall than you initially think. To me, the highlight of the hike was my arrival at a bench that was placed high above the creek below at a 180-degree turn in its course. You will enjoy this hike, but be watchful.

1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

Decided to go for a hike based on a recommendation from a friendly older couple that I met. After arriving I signed the ledger and picked up a trail map. I decided to take the Highlands loop and since I wasn't completely exhausted I decided to take the Heron Pond loop on the way back. It ended up being around an eleven mile hike through hardwood swamps and hammocks, scrubby oak and pine flatwoods, and sandhills. The ridge shelters one of the highest concentrations of threatened and endangered plants and animals in the United States. It's located on the edge of peninsular Florida's oldest and highest land mass.
I saw a few animals on my hike including an armadillo that could care less how close I got to it. There is a number of well marked trails of varying lengths and difficulty to enjoy. It is safe as long as you follow good common sense.

1  Thank Henry W
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 January 2016

Trails take you through some of the best preserved and maintained habitat in Central Florida. A variety of plant ecosystems- upland, wetland, flatwoods. Many rare plants and lots of wildlife. Even after a prescribed fire it is beautiful to see the new growth. It is one of my top places to unwind. The photography there is wonderful. It is not a park but a wild nature preserve.

1  Thank David P