“Easy layout, good conditions and fast greens will provide for a nice round.”

Atlantis County Club
Reviewed 7 April 2017

On a recent golfing trip to West Palm Beach, I had the opportunity to play numerous courses in the area. It is my hope to provide a good over view to other players of the various options. Living in the northeast, it is a pleasure to get a “winter break” and dust off my 4.3 index. At the end of the review, I have listed all the courses that I played (12 in total) with some suggested rankings.

The city of Atlantis is a community within Palm Beach County established numerous years ago. In the typical real estate development style, there is a mixture of condos, apartments and home. There are two Atlantis golf clubs- one private and one public. The public one, Atlantis County Club, is located at 190 Atlantis Blvd.

You will be coming off S Congress Avenue towards JFK Medical center and will be entering the community through a guard gate. I just mentioned my tee time and they let me through.
The first impression is that, in its heyday, the club must have been quite a facility. The building has a large conference facility, restaurant, proshop and driving and pitching ranges.

Times have changed and a realty office occupies a fair amount of the building, the restaurant seems shuttered but there is a snack shop (serving a great breakfast sandwich) and a proshop.

Some highlights are listed below:

Great-
- Super greens- fast, true roll and tough

Nice-
- Elevated greens and big breaks provided the needed and upgraded difficulty
- Tasty sandwiches form breakfast and at the turn

Okay-
- Layout is not particularly challenging
- The course is short- 5100 from the forward tees to 6500 from the back tees
- Houses line the course

Below are the additional details based on some categories that I have found beneficial to identify-

Course design and layout- 3- stars

The course layout is not particularly challenging nor is it long. You have your ubiquitous houses lining the course, the O.B., lakes and creeks that form the traditional hazards of a course. The forward tees provide a course length of 5,120 with a par 69.8 and the back (black) tees are 6,542 with a par 71.9 and slopes of 123 and 133, respectively.

I chose the back tees and did not find much difficulty in reaching the targets in regulation. Yet, the hidden treasure of this course are the greens which are well protected with strategically placed bunkers (that have plenty of sand), often elevated from the typically flat surrounding terrain and are constructed with impressive breaks.

All of this is accompanied with an impressive green speed of (not measured, more a gut feel) at a 14 or + reading on the stimpmeter.

Conditions- 3 stars and 1+ for the greens

Mostly the course was in good shape. The lighter than normal rain, has kept the course dryer than usual and the green are hard. Yet, the Greens Keeper and his/her team have worked very hard to maintain them in excellent condition.

On the “picky-side” of things, they should seek to rotate the flag stick position more throughout the green. Often times, you can see the concentration of previous holes and there is space to allow for more position rotation.

Price- 3- stars

The price is high with respect to the course offering. Yet, this is high season.

Pace of Play- 4+

This course had both a ranger and the round was quick in under the posted required time of 4 hours. This is the way golf courses should operate.

It would have been nice to walk.

Staff- 3 stars

Generally, friendly and I found the check-in at the Proshop to be good with nice staff notwithstanding the many people checking.

All in all, a course that tests your putting skills.

Summary of rounds-

Having played 12 different courses during several visits this winter and all reviewed on TA, I wanted to provide my personal selection. Naturally, it has my bias towards those that allow walking and have no/limited homes. So, I have grouped them for different handicap levels. The higher than 18 handicaps will have fun at most of them.

EVERYONE should play the renovated, Raymond Floyd, Palm Beach par 3 course. It is absolutely adorable.

For Low handicaps (<10 index)

1. Osprey Point
2. North Palm Beach
3. Okeeheelee
4. Abacoa
5. Madison Green

Mid-handicap (10 to 18) any of the above 5 plus …

1. Atlantis
2. Winston Trails

High handicap (above 18) any of the above plus …

1. Palm Beach National
2. Village Green Golf Club
3. Atlantis Golf Club
4. West Palm Beach Golf
5. Winston Trails

Reviewed 14 March 2017

We were scheduled to travel north to Summerfield to play 36 this day. The rain started overnight and by 7:00 AM they had received 2 inches and expected 2 more. We headed there on the hope that the weather would break. Mistake! After an hour battling the traffic and the downpour we headed back to Greenaces, FL. We decided to try to find a course to play later that day. Atlantis has always been one of our favorite course and we thought that we wouldn't get there this year. As luck would have it we found a tee time on Golfnow.com. When we arrived the staff was friendly and helpful. We were told that three of the holes would be cart path only. Not a problem for us, especially considering the amount of rain we had. The course was a little soft and by the second hole they said that we could drive anywhere. The lady in the pro shop was friendly and helpful as was the starter. The putting green was like lightning and we prepared ourselves for 3 putts. Fortunately for us the greens on the course were reasonable. The course has some added amenities such as flowers near the tee boxes which add to the beauty of the course. I believe that Tuesdays are the day they have reduced rates.

Reviewed 10 February 2017

Enjoyed a couple of rounds of golf here on a recent business trip. The attendants are very friendly and helpful. All of the wait staff in the restaurant provide excellent service with a smile. The food here is also reasonably priced. This is a great place to spend the day.

Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

This country club is outstanding. Very nice and friendly staff and a great great place to play golf. For the price i was surprised how awesome this course is. There were maintenance folks all over the course keeping it the great condition it was in. Nice fairways and smooth greens. If you are up for some golf this is a must play course. Simply beautiful!

Reviewed 8 January 2016

I have played Atlantis many, many times over the years. After years of absence, I played there a few years back to find the course a shadow of its former self. I returned to Atlantis very recently for a nostalgic round, and found that the course is in such good shape I have a hard time not talking about it to everyone. The greens are simply the best public course greens I have played in South Florida. I played there every day I was in Florida and cannot wait to get back. Nice going, Atlantis! Keep up the good work!