“Consistently good”

Ranked #7 of 26 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Enjoy a delicious fresh Florida seafood meal inside the quaint dining room, on the outdoor covered deck or under the ancient Buttonwood Trees overlooking picturesque Sarasota Bay. Farm to fork, gulf to table and pasture to plate. It's waterfront dining with a unique atmosphere. Leave a dollar bill on the wall and a little bit of your heart to find on your return visit. Voted #1 place to Dock and Dine with our own private 14 slip dock. There is no place quite like the Mar Vista for real Florida dining.
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

We’ve been coming regularly over 7 years and a meal here is always a must. Our group spanned 80 years age difference and we all had a great time and good food. A big thank you to Travis who looked after us so well.

3  Thank DickiesLondon
Anthony C, General Manager at Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Thanks DickiesLondon for taking your time to share your recent dining experience with us at the Mar Vista. I will make sure that Travis is recognized for his stellar service. Please feel free to ask for me or Chef Erik on your next visit if there is anything we can do to make it more enjoyable. Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Wishes,
Anthony Cucci

Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Having moved to Anna Maria Island permanently from northern NJ 6 years ago, we have tried to find nice restaurants that rival the food up north. Mar Vista had always satisfied that bill and been one of our favorites. First, you can't find a more lovely setting than the outside dining by the bay. It's truly a great venue. And when the food matched, it made for a very memorable evening, especially if hosting friends from out of state. Yet, something has changed and not for the better.

We've eaten at their other two restaurants (Beach House and Sandbar) as well, and despite equally impressive vistas, the food is touristy and overpriced. Though lunch still seems to be good overall. A good hamburger and beer while looking at the gulf is hard to beat. Yet, dinners at both don't match other better food around. And prices are high for what you get.

Mar Vista, on the other hand, always seemed a full notch above their brethren. A different menu and different chef seemed to distinguish it from the other two. Recent renovations promised an even better meal. Yet, in our last few dinners, the quality of the food seems to have dropped while the prices have increased. For my wife and I, Mar Vista seems to have dropped to the same level as its cousins. Still OK overall with a great setting, but touristy and not worth the extra cost. Service remained excellent, but....

Thank you HBeachTraveler for your candid review. We appreciate you taking your time to share your visit. Chef Erik joined us a few months ago and has made an instant impact. His innovative menu additions, use of fresh local sustainable seafood, produce from our farm, Gamble Creek Farm, local grass fed beef, Florida wild boar along with his vast culinary knowledge is shaping the future of the Mar Vista. Please feel free to contact me, at your convenience, to arrange a tasting menu with Chef Erik in hopes gaining your confidence in the Mar Vista as a go to location. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Popular dine waterside on the sand under the trees. Got a much needed new kitchen. Sister to Beach House and Sand Bar. Dockage for small boats. Great ambience. Must do for island visitors. Menu OK. Better at Beach House. Hey, it's the experience not the food.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Used to be one of our favorite places on Longboat Key, but the food quality has declined continuously over the last few years.
This summer was the worst experience so far. After sending back my hamburger twice, it still came back totally overdone. By then my husband was done eating, so I just skipped lunch...
And his grouper sandwich for $ 23 was just an outrageous price for such a small piece of fish with soggy fries!
The only positive point was that the staff was very friendly and the location is as beautiful as always.
Really hope I will be able to write a better review next time - if there is one...

1  Thank 216corinak
Anthony C, General Manager at Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2017

Thank you 216corinak for your patronage. Please accept my apology. This is not what we do here at the Mar Vista. I am not sure what happened on your last visit but assure me it will not happen again. I will pass along your comments to Chef Erik and the kitchen staff. Please feel free to contact me directly to go over any details and hopefully I can invite you back as my guest and regain your confidence with us as one of your favorite spots to dine. Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Mar Vista Restaurant

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

We received excellent service and our meal was delicious! We sat outside at the best and most romantic table which was at the edge of the water. Will definitely return if we are again in the area.

Thank you ladydy06 for such a stellar review. Glad to hear that yu enjoyed your meal and service. Please come in and see us again soon.

Regards,