“Wonderful food and very comfortable accommodation”
Review of The Oak at Dewlish

The Oak at Dewlish
Ranked #1 of 1 Dewlish B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2016

I stayed here for 4 nights and had 2 dinners at this lovely pub/bed and breakfast.

The staff are very friendly and went out of their way to look after me - I was out in the daytimes at the Great Dorset Steam Fair and every evening I arrived back tired and grubby - but I was always made very welcome.

Special thanks to Sally who cooked my breakfast each morning - she came in extra early so that I could beat the traffic on my way back to the fair. Sally also handled a tricky situation with a customer who claimed that there was no hot water (there was loads), that his shower had been dirty (mine was spotless), and that he had to wait 5 mins for his room - I have stayed in many hotels where I have had to wait a lot longer.

All in all this is a very nice, family run pub / bed and breakfast. I would highly recomend this to anyone and we will be returning to this lovely place.

Room Tip: It is a pub, so don't expect silence at 7pm but they do shut the pub on the dot but we are not e...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 August 2016

Just stayed for one night in this lovely country pub, the room was comfortable and v quiet at night so we had a sound nights sleep. Food was good , homemade dishes etc on the menu and a nice range of wines. Staff were friendly and chatty so made it a really pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

I am new to the area! Brilliant pub, best in Dorset, probably the country. I went on a normal Tuesday night and tried every Ale, Lager, Cider and Spirit they had on offer and got absolutely smashed the staff were excellent. When i left i was so drunk i couldnt find my way home and i only live 100 yards up the village! Would highly recommend great atmosphere, staff and locals will be going back there Friday!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2016

As locals we have eaten many times at the Oak and always found the food simple, unpretentious but good value for money. I don't know what's changed but we went last Friday night to find the prices had increased massively; nothing less than £9 it seemed. I ordered the Home-made 5 Bean Chilli which I've enjoyed there many times before. When it arrived it was a half portion of tasteles tomato mush which probably did have a total of 5 beans in it! It was served with a pile of rice and nachos. Total ingredient cost about 70p by my estimate (I cook a lot of chilli at home). My wife's ham egg and chips was OK - how can you get ham and egg wrong? - but served with a tiny portion of chips and definitely not worth £9-75.
This was hugely disappointing; we won't be eating there again until we hear that they have sorted themselves out. It's a great pity because the Oak used to be a great local pub, ideal to pop out to for a quick, simple, cheap, honest pub meal. I don't know what has changed but something has. At least the beer is still good!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

Up traditional Dorset high sided lanes, you have to really work to get to Dewlish. And when you get there you want a good pint and some decent food in a traditional pub. Well, it's certainly a traditional pub - wooden tables and chairs in a comfortable space. The food and beer? Well I had never heard of the 3 bitters on offer - and apparently neither had the barmaid, who really wasn't very interested in helping me find my way. The food? Distinctly average. My ploughmans was boring to the extreme - a few salad leaves, some very uninteresting cheddar, a few pickled onions, some coleslaw and some tasteless bread. The ham, eggs and chips were - well, ham eggs and chips - nothing special, but ok. At £26 including a wine and a beer the price is not too bad. But will I be taking those lanes to Dewlish again? Perhaps not for a while.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple

Been to The Oak at Dewlish? Share your experiences!